1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay = More Emotional??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justinishere, Jun 22, 2009.

1. justinishere

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is doing good :slight_smile:

Well I guess I will go on what I am trying to say in this thread (kinda ranting on and on..) So I have accepted myself with being gay for a while now and I think it really makes me fee better about myself. However, it seems it made me more emotional to the simple things...? For example, I was watching this movie Shelter and a couple of other romance movies and during certain parts of the movie it starts to make you want to cry (either happy/sad whatever).

And then of course there are times when I just feel downright lonely. Single, never had a boyfriend/girlfriend ever, never kissed anyone, never "loved" someone (you know what I mean), etc and I just feel that I want those things. I just moved to my new home and have some friends that I have made throughout the school year, but yet none of them I can connect with (being gay wise anyways) and I just feel something is missing in that part of my life too. Being in the closet seems to have blocked so many doors for me, but I just know now is not the right time to come out. It sometimes feels like it never will be a good time until I go off and start my own life after college, which is a long whiles away!

All in all, after I have fully accepted myself being gay it just brought on all these new emotions for everything! In a way its just so overwhelming with having to deal with them alone :frowning2:

:help:What should I do?! :help:

2. Greggers

I would not say "Gay = More Emotional". I would say "Being Emotional = More Emotional".

Now maybe its true that "A decent amount of Gay Men are more emotional, atleast on the outside, to there average heterosexual male counterpart" or something like that.

You tread into dangerous waters when you clump groups of people together based on a stereotypical (or un-stereotypical) trait. Really, the only thing all gay people have in common is attractions to the same gender as themselves. After that, you cannot count on anything being the same between all gay people.

...with that said, being emotional is not a BAD thing (*hug*) I personally wear my emotions on my outside for everyone to see. Its bad at times, but its also good alot of the time. It helps me relate to other people, it helps me bond and connect easier, and most importantly it keeps me from being able to lie well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: something i think is good. It kinda forces me to be...well...me. Try and look on the positive side of being emotional, cause there definitely is one. Sure, it can feel like a horrible thing at times but it was the hand you were dealt so best thing to do is own it. (*hug*)

3. littledinosaurs

I guess accepting yourself has opened you up to a new level of emotional security and sensitivity.
    What to do?
    Well you can't stop feeling, so channel them. If you are feeling happy/good, do something physical and use your energy.
    If you are feeling sad, maybe write something, like a poem, story etc.
    As for missing a part of life and wanting to come out, well you can do that if you feel safe, but you have your whole life to be gay, so don't rush into it (especially since you feel a bit 'over-emotional' right now, you might wanna make sure you have a clear head before coming out to anyone)
    hope that helped a little!

4. ELusiveMuse

ELusiveMuse Guest

What greg says pretty much sums up most of what i think, but i will add that accepting yourself allows you to connect more fully with your emotions without feeling so ashamed of it or thinking it's unmanly or "gay":slight_smile: which is a lot to do with it i think. Personally i'm not that open with my emotions, it's just how i am, learnt off my dad i think, we are very much alike i'm told, apart from our sexual preference! :slight_smile: though i'm not as bad as i was before i came out to myself. Any way, you'll no doubt adjust to your emotions in time. Don't worry about not having been with anyone either, it's not a big deal at your age, mate. :slight_smile:

5. ArcaneVerse

There is nothing wrong with being emotional. In fact I think its a great trait to have, to be able to express your feelings, it's better then not being able to show your emotions at all. I agree with Greg, embrace it.

Now about being single and never having had a boyfriend/girlfriend or a kiss, don't stress too much about it, your still young. I'm 19 and haven't had those things myself, just focus on what you have got and have experienced and be excited about the things to come.

Opening yourself up so you can accept yourself is very overwhelming process just remember your not alone you have us =].

6. xequar

You're observing a social construct. Straight men generally suppress emotions so that they don't look weak or *gasp* gay. Straight men generally have to have a sort of "front" to maintain their masculinity bla bla blah. It starts at childhood and that old idea that "boys don't cry."

Once a gay man gets to the point of coming out, he's already casting off the social chains, so showing a full range of emotion isn't a stretch, nor is it any longer out-of-bounds. Coming out is geared toward living life as who you actually are, so why would someone who's come out continue to put on a facade?

Having emotion and showing emotion is good and healthy. It leads to better relationships and a more stable outlook on the world.

7. AXavierB

What Greg said. Being more emotional doesn't stem from being gay, it just comes from... being emotional.

I'm emotional to a fault. Just a few years ago I'd cry or get angry at the slightest provocation. I've gotten better at it lately. I'm not any less emotional, but I've sort of learned to show it less.

8. Just Adam

personally since i began coming to terms with my sexuality ive been opening up to my emotions more simply because im opening up to myself more

9. tm74

tm74 Guest

I have to agree with everything that's been said - since I started accepting myself, I've certainly let my more emotional side out a bit - I suppose that as well as suppressing myself as a sexual being, I've also suppressed myself to a point as an emotional being (and I believe the two are linked to a point - if you're suppressing who you are as a sexual being, you must be association be partly suppressing a part of your emotions too)

Part of the "tough straight guy" image is of course to not show emotions - at least not "soft" emotions like would be brought out by a film like Shelter - remember, the macho straight bloke is only expected/allowed to show "strong" emotions...

"Big boys don't cry" - something I heard time and again in my childhood (or variants thereof) - guys are generally not expected to show those softer emotions...

10. BasketCase

I think the same.

Since starting down this road I have been more emotional but I dont think that its because I am gay - its because I have realised a huge part of myself.

11. justinishere

^^^^^ This just made my day! :slight_smile: Thank you so much =]

Thanks so much to everyone for there advice! :slight_smile:

I guess I just feel alone sometimes. I want that "support" (friend) to have a shoulder to cry on when I need to and be there for someone who needs that shoulder to cry on. I am not in any rush to have a boyfriend but just really a good friend. Even though I am so young like everyone says, I have just experienced so many bad "back stabbing" experiences by people who I thought I could trust. Maybe that is why I hide and keep my feelings to myself? .....

12. KeithJ108

^ pretty much what I would have said.

When I came out i think the whole process led me to understand that everyone is emotional...some people just put a lot of effort into hiding it. So, by the time I'd worked up the confidence to admit I was gay I saw no point in conforming to the 'boys don't cry' idea. I'm not over emotional but I am less scared of my emotions since I came out.

13. matty123

hey
    Well first off i think shelter is an awesome film, but tbh it didn't make me cry, i wouldn't say that accepting being gay makes you more emotional, i think that accepting your sexuality is emotional in itself to some extent, like having to figure yourself out and how other people will react to you if you tell them, and your 15, its hormone city at that age. I'd put the emotions down to hormones, and i get the whole feeling alone thing, and it must be especially tough in a new place with new friends, i've found just having one friend to open up to can really help, so mabye work on your friendships, find somebody who you can open up to, until then there is ec ^_^

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight guys are emotional too they just hide it.
    let me give you some examples:
    My best friend (not gay) cried when we brought his dog to the vet because he had to get an anal prob and the dog cried.

I was at a friend's house we were watching braveheart. I looked over and tears were welling up in his father's eyes during the funeral scene.

When you're a teen it isn't cool to be emotional, so guys hide it. but that doesn't mean it's not there.

15. saudade

saudade Guest

Honestly, being gay doesn't make you more emotional, but sadly a lot of the time the "side-effects" (for lack of a better word) can; I experienced exactly what you are feeling now, and strangely you do feel more emotional after accepting yourself than when you are repressing the truth. I had weeks where I couldn't face doing anything or seeing anyone.

By "side-effects" I mean things like feeling isolated, internalising everything etc. and they are the downsides of the early stages of coming out, but don't worry about it - you're not alone. Believe it or not you are doing the right thing - you are seeking help from an understanding group of people, and really expressing and showing emotion is much more healthier than suppressing and internalising bad feelings. It's just a question of waiting it out until you feel comfortable enough with someone to share your feelings; I'm sure not all of your friends are duplicitous backstabbers :slight_smile:

Remember, the sky is darkest before the dawn :slight_smile:

16. justinishere

Hi Everyone! :slight_smile: Thanks again for all of the advice. Sorry about the title of this thread. I guess I was trying to refer it to myself meaning "Me being gay = more emotions brought on" So sorry about that! :slight_smile:

17. littledinosaurs

Glad we could help and don't worry, everyone makes lil errors
    =)

18. touchofgrey

I definitely am having the same experience that you are!
    I'm slowly accepting myself as gay (I hate the word "lesbian") and suddenly I'm completely emotional-- happy, sad, whatever it is, I'm fully feeling it.

I think it's because I'm being more honest with myself and am letting myself be who I am for the first time and by doing this I'm opening myself to a lot more emotion.

19. justinishere

I'm glad I am not the only one feeling like this! I think it is somewhat making me a better person too. It makes me more aware of others feelings and how others are being treated :slight_smile: It is also nice to feel these emotions too! For so long I would just keep everything bottled up and it hurt alot! Now I have that "free" feeling where the weight of the world wasn't on my shoulders!