1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating, My ex, etc.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BitterEdge, Jun 24, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

So I found out my ex is dating again and for some reason it depresses me. He was verbally abusive in my relationship, but I still have a place for him cause he was my first bf.

I haven't been on a date really in the longest time and no one takes much interest, I have few gay friends and my straight friends know me as the only gay in my area. It's hard really and a bit lonely I might add.

Advice on dating. And also, what do you do to take your mind off your ex (btw we broke up more than 4 months ago now).

2. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Life is too short to tolerate abuse, be it physical, mental, emotional, social or otherwise. can't help on the dating thing, especially in New Haven. Wish you could help me wiith the pizza thing, and send me one of the world's best pies. I know the best always come from New Haven! Haven't had any that good for some time.

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

New Haven is actually 30 min north of me, though I love it. The pizza is amazing I'll give you that.

4. RCooper

Ugh. Single life stinks sometimes. At least you've had a boyfriend. No out guys in my area. The thing is not to dwell on it. Go out on the town with your friends! Do anything you like. I like to hike, so when I feel down, I do that.

5. EM68

I know it can be tough when you find out that your ex is dating. That happened to me. I found out that he was dating after we broke up. I felt pretty bad. I talked to him a couple of weeks ago and he said that he went on a couple of dates and nothing and he had given up on dating for a while. I told him I was dating a guy and we were going to Pride together. He was happy for me.

I would just try to keep busy. You may want to volunteer someplace like a food pantry or something like that. In this economy I am pretty sure there are places looking for volunteers. It will get you out of the house and give you purpose in life. Also it will feel good helping others. It will make you feel good about yourself. Once you do you will come off as more attractive to people and you will feel better about going out and getting yourself out there.

6. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well keep yourself occupied. EM68 is right that. I used to do that and I found it rewarding. In addition it does not have to be volunteer work, perhaps you can join some sports group or other interest group.

About the dating, if you dont feel like dating then it is ok to give it a rest for the time being

However many people try to sleep with as much people as they can after a break up and see it as a remedy for it.

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you do find someone else, don't try to leap into a relationship just to forget your ex - even though it's been four months, it'd still be a rebound relationship because in your mind, things are still raw. I agree that you should keep yourself busy - a team,a social group, volunteer work, anything like that will keep your mind active and give you something to think about besides him. When you feel yourself start to reminisce and wish you were back together, try to remind yourself of the way he treated you - don't let yourself idealise him and the relationship. You deserve way better than that (*hug*)

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Thanks everyone.

9. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Enjoy it while you got it!" (!) I've lived on both coasts of this continent, and everyone who knows pizza knows the best comes from in and around New Haven. Go Nutmeggers!

10. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes my X's dating bug the hell out of me to. What did the trick for me is I jus think to myself "His happiness will never last" and in the end im always right. he hasnt had a single relationship thats lasted longer then a month besides me. if he was abusive towards you then hes very likely to do it to this new person, they probly wont put up with it and hell be right where you are. Youll be alright, I jus dont think your fully over it yet. 4 months isnt that long you know.

Fox