1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling a Little Blue

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Glunn11, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Glunn11

Hey everyone,
    I'm not having that grand of an evening. I just had a sudden worrying spell about the future. Next year is senior year, and I still haven't gotten accustomed to the idea of leaving, although I'm sure it'll be great. I'm more afraid of finding friends than anything else, and I feel kind of worthless for some reason. I don't do anything exceptional. I dunno.
    Not much - just a rant. Thanks for taking the time to read.

2. Jim1454

Few people accomplish exceptional things. They're the ones you read about in the paper or see on TV, but they are not the norm. Don't start comparing yourself to Richard Branson or 'what's-his-name' the olympic swimmer or that guy that won American Idol.

I think it's natural to have a certain amount of fear about the future - the unknown. But don't let it be a fear that paralyzes. Let it be a fear that motivates. What do you think you need to do to improve your odds of having friends? (I assume you mean when you move away to college.) Maybe it's finding out in advance what clubs or sports teams there are. Maybe it's committing to living in residence for the first year - you can't help but meet people that way.

But remember that you can't really do anything about next year or the year after. You can only do things today. So figure out what it is that you can do today that will make you a better person - in your eyes. Exercise? Volunteer work? Killer grades?

It IS a very unsettling time of your life. But you'll get through it. We all do. And the fact of the matter is, you're likely to develop better friendships with the people you meet in college, because their interests will be more in line with yours. But enjoy highschool too.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww I think faced with change lots of people get worried and nervous I know I do. It will be ok (*hug*)

4. Glunn11

Thank you both for your replies. I feel better, now. Incidentally, I came out to an acquaintance of mine. So, I feel a lot more secure, as well.
    We're going to the park tonight. :slight_smile:

I'll definitely remember your optimism. I know I'm going to give the speech team a shot, as well.

5. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't worry everything will come in time! I fear the future in case I become a failure in my dreams, they must come true, but I realize if worse comes to worse in my dreams then I have to know that at least I attempt them.

The future is only what you want it to be, if you can dream it, then you can achieve it. You don't have to be the next celebrity, but just do well in what you want to do, and make a decent living, and when you're old to think back and say "I am proud I did this and that". Find your identity first, then find your wishes in life, and if you can do that it will be there. Knowledge first, and then the courage to do it.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I felt that way too when I first left home. You're leaving the nest. It's natural to feel nervious, it's a big world out there.

Believe me though it's going be great. You're going to establish yourself in the world. Maybe you'll set the world on fire (in a good way) maybe not.

Once you've tested the waters a little you'll see it's nothing to it, but to do it.

Good luck out there.

(!)

7. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Hey Glunn, come talk to me again if you're feelin' blue. :frowning2: Depression sucks and sometimes all you need is to rant and rave. But I can tell you what it's like to be a Senior. :slight_smile: And trust me, worrying about college then and there shouldn't really be on your agenda as Senior is usually the most relaxed year.

8. Selqet

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thats exactly how I felt before I headed off for college!

Everyone else has already really said everything that needs to be said in a much more eloquent manner than I could ever come up with. So I'll just add that if you're afraid of finding friends, my best advice is to force yourself to find events on campus, to actually go to them, and to speak to people (this was *reallllly* hard for me to do, as I'm quite the introvert around people I don't know, but I did manage to force myself to do that, and wound up finding some of my best friends as well as my mate. so while it was hard, it was also completely worth it)