1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time going to Pride.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SRSLYMARK, Jun 25, 2009.

1. SRSLYMARK

So I've been out for two years but this is my first year attending Pride. Chicago is having their parade/festival this Sunday. I'm going with a group of people who have been there before, a few girls my age, and one of the girls' older sister and her friends. It sounds like it's gonna be great, we're eating at a wonderful restaurant for lunch and are gonna shop up there and stuff afterwards, but I'm just wondering - should I be worried about anything going on at Pride? I've heard some gay male friends I have saying "It promotes promiscuity, all the other guys there will judge you, it's a bunch of sluts," etc. Is there any truth to that?

Is there anything I should bring or be prepared to have to pay for?

2. djt820

Expect lots of the flamboyant types.

3. Markio

I'm going to my first pride soon, too. As with any large public event, I'd just stay close to a friend, have your cell phone at all times, and watch out for pickpockets.

4. Greggers

Expect everything.

Literally.

You will see everything from half naked men (smokin' hot men btw) wearing rainbow spandex to straight pastors of local churchs to gay choirs to PFLAG to dykes on bikes to the quiet guy living down the street to the drag queens to the transgendered people to the gays who you cant tell are even gay to the lawyers, doctors, politicians, teachers and policemen who happen to also be LGBT.

Dont NOT expect something to be there.

5. riddlerno1

Im gong to my first pride in a couple of weeks and i was excited before but now i am getting slightly nervous. I am going with one of my straight mates who has decided to come!

6. Doreibo

Well, first of all, good luck on the night, and also HAVE FUN! Responsibly that is. Just don't do what feels too out of whack but don't be afraid either. It's a sort of mix 'n' match kinda thing. Just watch out for pick pockets and the like, and drunken brawls.

7. EM68

I went to my first Pride a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome. I went with my bf and I could be myself with him. If you want to get an idea what Pride is like, I posted some pictures in an album.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I supposed there IS a chance you'll be hit on, in which case the best answer is "no thanks". But from what I've seen of Denver Pride, most don't view it as any sort of meat market. It's just a celebration. :slight_smile:

Advice? Um...sunscreen. There.

Lex

9. Just Adam

go expecting everything! but dont have any preconceptions about it... its a festival to celebreate who you are not premote guys getting it on :S, just enjoy the ....experience XD

have fun

10. xequar

Think of it as a street party. A really fabulous and flamboyant street party. You'll have a good time!

11. Andrew

yay for Chicago pride haha. I might be going as well. I am excited yet, super scared as well. :O

12. xequar

And let's be honest. You'll probably also see people in fetish gear and othef means of dress you won't see every day. Hell, I know my BF and I are going to be wearing not a lot and mostly fetish gear for Toronto's Pride.

Like I said, a big, fabulous street party. :grin:

13. Nicknikko

Well at pride you'll see how diverse the gay community is! You'll see tons of guys from many ages, a lot a lot of gorgeous gorgeous guys :slight_smile:
    Also many interesting people in a lot of out fits... it's really fun. My pride is tomorrow[this saturday] and i really cannot wait. haha :slight_smile:

I don't think you'll have to pay anything... here the parade is free... you might want to take spending money to buy food and water... or idk. but yeah.

Anyway;
    have fun!

14. Kaim

Kaim Guest

I'm actually gonna see if I can go to the Chicago gay pride myself! The advice here is helpful, and I do happen to know someone who did say he'd go. Hopefully he'll agree to taking me.

15. Andrew

Haha, woo. The more people the better at pride. :slight_smile:

16. sdc91

Have fun! I'm going tomorrow to Houston's (I think, pretty sure).

Admissions should be free, but you might have to pay for bleachers if you want to sit down to watch the parade ($30 in Houston), but I'd rather stand and get involved, anyway. Make sure to bring water... I forgot to bring some to Dallas' and I was pretty much parched for hours because I forgot to bring money to buy some ($3/bottle... jacked up!).

17. Meropspusillus

Definitely this.

18. Andrew

I have a question. Is it okay to arrive maybe like an hour late? Like is it basically just a huge festival?

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I going to NYC pride march also on Sunday, which should be fun as its the 40th anniversary of Stonewall.

Have a good time in Chicago to those going there.