1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd problem

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by malachite, Jun 26, 2009.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm all about coming out to people. I like being gay now and I want everyone I know to know. The problem is: People don't believe me.
    Most of my friends thinks I'm just screwing with them. I'm not angry or upset, but why do I have to drive my being gay into their head like an iron spike?

Most people say I never act gay, and don't worry I read them the riot act.

I usually just say: "Hey guys I wanted to tell you I'm gay. I've been dealing with this for a few years now, and I've finally come to terms with it."

Like I said I'm not upset or angry, I'm just wondering why people seem to have a hard time believing I'm gay.

:confused2:

2. Just Adam

just say youll prove it...they say how...you say male mates name come here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:...might be a little forward lol...dont worry though you dont need to act sterotypical theyll believe and understand with time XD:slight_smile:

3. fallendream

if they don't believe you, screw them - you told them, that's you're bit done, focus on yourself and don't let this get you down.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only problem is I don't have a boyfriend. I'd like to have one, but it just hasn't panned out yet.

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't worry, just wait until you do have a boyfriend then they will have to believe you. At least you told them, if they don't believe you now then that is their issue. I imagine it may seem frustrating now, but just wait everything will pan out.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say just to give it time. You've spent years coming to terms with it and accepting it, but they've assumed that you're straight for as long as you've known them, and it's a shock to the system to suddenly have to change the ideas you had about someone. If you're questioned, maybe just say something like "I know it's a shock to you and I'm not expecting you to totally understand it right away, but it is true and it's not going to change, this is who I am".

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Let them believe what they want to believe. You know who you are and that is what is important!

8. paco

paco Guest

happens to me all the time too. i usually just have to keep telling them until they finally realize its not a joke.

i think what adam meant is prove it to the non believers. they might change their minds when your lips are latched to theirs lol.

9. dude99

dude99 Guest

well I guess they dont want to believe you are gay. Well if they choose not to believe its their problem. YOu know who you are and I am happy you found yourself.

10. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I've run into that problem too. Apparently my voice is too deep and mellow to be gay. I havent botherd comming out at work because I hate getting that reaction, telling someone somthing important only to be hit with a "yeah right."

If your in the Southern US Orlando city then its also going to be a common reaction since the only exposure most Orlandians get is from Gay days and Church, Both bad representations.

My advice, get used to it, Coming out isnt about proving anything, just telling someone the truth..at least in my understanding.

11. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I had the same problem people thought i was just trying to get attention or something or making it up to seem interesting but i just ignored them and eventually they stopped pretending and just dealt with it.

Plus the fact i have a girlfriend is pretty convincing lol get yourself a nice hunky man that'll show them :wink:

12. Aero

^well said!

The one (and only) time I went to a gay bar, I had a GAY GUY tell me I wasn't gay...

f*ck 'em...In time, I'm sure they'll get used to it.
    Ask them "how many straight guys do you know go around telling people they are gay?"

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    glad to know this happens to other people.

14. Halpert

Sure does happen to others! Like other's said, just let it soak in for a bit. Eventually they'll understand, and if they don't, prove it! But really, it just takes time. Through this whole adventure I've learned time is key for almost everything and everyone.

You can always look at it as a positive too; you'll break the stereotype to your friends if they don't think you act gay. Once they understand you do in fact love men, maybe, just maybe, they'll figure out you don't have to have a lisp or limp wrist to enjoy another man's body :icon_wink:. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful :lol:.

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, sometimes hope is all ya got.
    :thumbsup:

16. Markio

What's the riot act?

When people say you don't act gay, just tell them it's because you've never had sex in front of them. Or slap them. Suggestively, even. Or just wait for them to come around to it.

17. Alex19

maybe your just so masculine that ppl think u act too "straight" to b gay

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, riot act is just basically, "Don't buy into the stereotypes of homosexuals. Not all Gays are limp-wrested and love wearing pink and not all lesbians are butch and macho."

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm don't think I'm uber masculine...I am quick to anger though, but in a fun way.:tantrum:

20. Psychedelic Bookmarks

That sucks. But they'll come around eventually. Pretty quickly they'll realise you're serious, I'd think. Just be patient.