1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Right Time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DJ Sweetz, Jul 16, 2007.

1. DJ Sweetz

This is my first time posting on this part of the forum and I need a little advice. I want to come out to my sister first, but my parents are fighting with each other and it's taking a toll on our family. Should I tell her now, or should I wait until my parents resolves things, then come out to her? BTW, my sister is 24.

2. dreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My advice is not to do anything rash. If an oportune moment arises then by all means seize it if you feel it's right. Make sure its what YOU want to do, and thay you are totally ready. Think about possible sinareo's that could occur. There may never be the 'right' time to tell them, you could make up excuse after excuse for years. However you are still fairly young so you have a little more time. It totally depends on you.

I realise that was a bit ambiguous, sorry.

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

I think u shud w8 till ya parents calm down, unless ur sis is a good sis, da ones dat r there for ye

4. 24601

You should come out to your sister when you feel ready. Like dreamer said, if an opportunity arises and you feel ready, then by all means tell her. But, at the moment, I'd hold back a bit until things settle down. You don't want to overload anyone, including yourself.

If your sister is not involved in the fighting, and has moved away, then you can go for it whenever you're ready. If she is involved somewhat, then hold back. That's what I say, anyway.

You have a lot of time, no need to rush things.

5. DJ Sweetz

She still lives with us and the fight is just between our parents. It's just that the fight is so bad, my mom is living at her friend's house. Should I still tell her?

6. dreamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe now isn't the best time. Afterall, she will also have to deal with your parents fighting aswell as you. As i said before, it depends entirly on the situation and circumstances at the time

7. Sam

Sam

I think that you should wait before you tell her. She already has enough to deal with right now. I would wait until your family situation gets better then tell her. good luck.

8. DJ Sweetz

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll just wait it out, but looks like the fight is getting better, My dad stop screaming on the phone everytime they talk.

9. jroakwood

i'd tell you that if youre ready and you want to tell her then you should go for it, instead of waiting on your parents.
    there will always be excuses for us to not say it.
    so i think you should just go for it. =)

i would only hold back on telling your parents, but your sister i think you should tell.

10. DJ Sweetz

Thanks again ya'll. I think my sister will understand cuz I tell her everything and when I mean everything, I mean everything! I'm just waiting for the perfect time.

11. jroakwood

from my experiences there isnt always a perfect time.
    it seems like he ideal thing, waiting for the "perfect time"
    but sometimes it isnt always realistic.

but seeing as how she is your sister, and ive only experienced trying friends, and you live with her, it should be easier to get some time alone with her.
    and plus, youre younger than i am, so youve got more time than i do. =)

12. DJ Sweetz

I was so close to telling her, but I chickened out! And on Friday, she's leaving to go to Arizona For a week, which means that I have more time to think 'bout it.

#12 DJ Sweetz, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  13. SpikySpice

Well
    how about coming out thru the phone, you dont have to talk to her face to face, which is aliitle bit easier soemtimes
    or by email, letter, etc.
    But u'll feel pissed on the day before she gets home tho

14. DJ Sweetz

I think I might tell her before she leaves, and hopefully, she doesn't tell her husband. I'm just waiting until we're the only ones in the house. What should I say? I hope she accepts me because one of her high school friends was gay.

#14 DJ Sweetz, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  15. jroakwood

just tell her you have something to tell her because she is very important to you and you feel she should know.
    tell her that youre still going to be the same person, its just now she knows something more about you.

im sure it'll go fine.
    especially if shes had gay friends.

16. DJ Sweetz

I'm gonna tell her tomorrow, but she's actually leaving next week Thursday. Wish me luck. *sigh*

17. jroakwood

good luck bud.
    i hope you do it.
    =)

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

19. DJ Sweetz

Just great!:rolleyes: I can't get a single second alone with her Because she's always with her husband.:tantrum: I had a small chance cuz we were sitting on the couch watching TV, but a car came into our drive way and I went into the garage to check who it was, and I when I went back inside, she was on her way to back to the room!:eusa_doh: I could've freaking told her, but I just had to look in the garage!

20. SpikySpice

If you think you wont have any chance to talk to her, then write her a letter, she can read it on bed or at work or anywhere else.

But it's your choice:wink: