1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what should i do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hoping, Jul 16, 2007.

1. hoping

im thinking about introducing this guy i really like to my mum but the problem is when i told her i was gay last year she didnt believe me so how should i go about introducing him to her. also i was wondering about if i should kiss him around her and any of my family like is there a time frame i should let them get used to the idea of me being gay b4 i kiss this guy around them.

2. 24601

Blatantly kissing him in front of your family may not be the best approach. Are you saying your mom didn't believe you or didn't accept you? If she didn't believe you, she should believe you when you bring home a boyfriend, now, even without kissing. Give them a little time, you don't have to wait too long. But at least one visit...

3. Sam

Sam

yeah let them get used to the idea of you having a boyfriend before you start kissing him in front of them especially since you said that she didn't believe you.

4. Hydrogen

Id bring him home, one or twice at least before kissing him. A quick good bye kiss when he leaves might be ok, though, and would remove any doubt your not gay.

However I would wait, and slowly progress. Go from holding hands, to hugs, to kisses..

5. TeeBe

I would keep the kissing for a more private time, even if she WERE comforable with it/ believed you. It is courtesy, especially since people can accept you and your BF being gay, without being particularily comfortable with the outward displays... (Curses anti-gay folks under breath). But really, why propigate a negative stereotype? What reason do people have to be uncomfortable if we don't do anything to make them that way? (I know, I know...wishful thinking, clearly NOT the case...maybe some day...)

6. Evilmonkey

well first of all, congrats all over the place for finding yourself a man!
    secondly i dont suggest you make out in front of them, thats just rubbing it into their face, when they are still in denial about your sexuality... i suggest ease them into it.. talk about your next 'date' in front of them. goodluck!!!:lol:

7. jroakwood

my opinion is that you should have him over at least a couple times before you kiss him more than just goodnight.
    but i definately think a goodnight kiss before he leaves is a good idea.

also i think you should go out on dates with him and talk to your mom about it.
    you know, just say something like, "im gonna go out to the movies/dinner with *his name* tonight", or something along those lines.

and also the holding hands/then hugs or cuddling/then kisses thing sounds about right too.

but i really think that you shouldnt be afraid to express yourself and your feelings for him in front of your family, cause i mean, theyre your family for god's sake.

i dont know if that helps.
    but best wishes and good luck.

and congrats on getting a man. gotta love it.
    i know im jealous.
    =)

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't think it's ever appropriate to make-out in front of your parents, gay or straight. I mean a goodnight or hello kiss is alright. I just wouldn't openly do this to prove to your mom that you are gay. I accepted my sons' homosexuality right away but it was still a little weird for me to even see him hold hands with his boyfriend. Now it's natural to me but it just takes some getting used to. Know what I mean?