1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I choose to be mute.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sarah, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Sarah

Right now, words aren't working so well for me. So, I choose to be mute. I just hope people respect my decision. If it is absolutely manditory that I use my voice, i will. But other than that, I choose silence.:icon_sad:

SonOfOdin likes this.
  2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Is there a particular reason you have decided to stop speaking?
    I mean, if you have foot-in-mouth disease like so many people I know, it might not be a bad idea to take your time to think before you speak. But if you are trying to make a point or doing some sort of protest, unless you are sandwich-boarding it up, it's not going to further the cause since no one will know what you are talking about. Or... not talking about as the case may be.

3. Sarah

I just don't really have a need to say anything. I just... I don't know. I don't want to talk anymore. My mind or something is telling me that I shouldn't talk. I just think that it's something I need to do. Its like a gut feeling sort of. But stronger. I don't know if you believe in gut feelings, but I do, and i try to follow them the best I am able.

In many ways my decision is...well immature(?). I don't have much a reason to back up my choice, but it is MY choice. And no one can MAKE me talk. Doesn't that go against the constituion? Freedom of Speech, (sounds ironic) right?

4. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

In that case, I'm sure you will have gotten over this in a few days.
    Since there is no reason for you to remain silent, this just might be one of those "teenager things". I mean, I thought it was an excellent idea to dye my hair blue for no particular reason. (It was not.) This seems mighty similar.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy yourself. Maybe it will help you gain an appreciation for different forms of communication.

:thumbsup:

5. Sarah

thanks for the support. you're probably right. but idk. who knows

6. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I told myself "not to speak" for the day, to see how it would work, well it doesn't. I ended up talking because it was too quiet. I was about 13'ish, kind of like a game (only done it a couple of times).

if you put your speakers loud for this it's kind of creepy when she starts singing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CnPPXWnvM&feature=related

#6 Jack2009, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  7. Sarah

well. i did the day of silence. and it worked out fine for me

8. Aero

This is like when Kramer did the same thing on Seinfeld... he did it because every time he talked, he'd be blunt and say something he shouldn't.

So, I think
    1) you opened your mouth when you shouldn't have...
    2) you found out something that you shouldn't tell other people...
    3) you opened up to someone and it backfired...
    4) every time you say something, your words get twisted...
    5) you have a high pitched, nasal voice and it's better that no one hears it

9. Sarah

mmm. sorry. but none of the above.

10. Aero

What??
    not even 5???

Is there a reason?

11. Sarah

mmm. idk. it kind of ties a little bit to my last thread in here. "in love with my bestfriend" and there's a bunch of extra stuff. its a long story. and i'm not really sure how i got to the conclusion to be silent. it just popped up in my mind

12. Aero

Yah, so you left him on his own at the movies... not the coolest thing.
    You should apologize to him, maybe make it up by going to a movie without your parents. Or keep silent... I'm sure that will work.

He sounds needy... and dramatic... but I guess that's part of the package.
    If he gets depressed and hurts himself, are you sure you want to be in a relationship with him?? Maybe he needs help before you guys take it further.. or maybe he just needs to grow up.

13. davo-man

Jaaaaanice....JAAAAAAAAANICE Heheheh

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EssjCPC3JAI[/youtube]

Anyway, do what feels right for you. You don't need our support to follow through on a plan, although I must comment that unless there is specific reason or statement you are trying to make, I personally find it a bit nonsensical. I mean, I certainly couldn't go a day without speaking. Maybe I'm just a chatterbox though :grin:

14. Sarah

um there's more to it. and idk. he forgave me about that. but then yesterday. some stuff happened and i couldnt take it anymore so i left. he's always pushing me. like a lot of the time farther than i'd go. he's always teasing me like TEASING me. not likie making fun of me teasing me but TEASING me. and its plays with my head. and i just couldnt take it and i left. i'm not talking to him for a while. we need space from each other. sooo. and then. i tell him everything and since i'm not going to talk to him. i dont feel a need to speak. i took a nights sleep to get my head straight. its not a good reason. but i'm standing by it. when people asking why i'll just say that i dont have anything to say. soo. yeah. its stupid. but its my choice.

15. Jim1454

All I'll say is that conflict and misunderstandings aren't resolved by silence. They are resolved by talking. So perhaps you aren't prepared to deal with whatever it is that is bothering you now, but giving people 'the silent treatment' only puts it off. The problem will still be there when you start talking again.

Only then, you might have ticked off enough people that your situation is worse instead of the same or better.

But you're right - it's certainly your choice.

16. erod123

its okay to be a mute i am most of the time

17. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If being silent is what you want or need to do right now then thats your decision. But it can sorta mess you up. I did the silent thing when I was your age for a year or so and it was really difficult - because there will be a time when you need to communicate with others and making a decision to stop communicating is very hard to undo. Hopefully you'll be able to handle it, but being silent doesn't help your relationships with other people, I had quite a hard time because of it

18. Nugget

I wish I could learn to be mute... it's something I've been pondering over for a while.

19. djt820

I tried becoming mute once. Because I thought it'd be for my own good. It failed fucking miserably.

20. Sarah

i'm not giving people the silence treatment. i talk to them in my own way. i answer questions. but the main reason i'm doing this is because i need to spend some time in my own head. and talking just distracts me from that. i need to forget some stuff. and talking about it won't help. besides the person that i'm having a problem with won't even talk to me. so it doesn't matter. and my parents are the only other people that i see for the most part. and i communitcate my needs in my way. and they only want to make sure i'm okay. the only place i talk is at summer school, since its basically manditory since you can't debate if you don't talk. it's working out fine with me.