1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help PLease

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justindee13, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Justindee13

So i got done with my theropist and my mom and i went through this conversation or agrument.
    m= mom
    J=me

J- i dont think i need him anymore im only going ot make u and dad happym- he is there to help with ur depression and u being gay
    a mintue or two pass
    j- why do i need help with being gay
    m-well u tried to hook up with a stranger from what ur dad tells me from those messages from sean
    j- no i asked if he knew anyone who knows firsth hand what im going through not to hook up what kinda son do u think i am or is it becuase gay pedifiles are more dangerous than straight ones
    m- ok i see well i accept u and how u want to live and for what u want
    J- this isnt what i want this is who i am now accept thatakward slicence
    m- and for how long
    j 5 years
    m- since u were ten
    j- i had the erges then understood it around 13 and first told someone which was aubree in 8th grade when i was 13-14the sound of the freeway
    m- and how do u know
    j- i never have hooked upw ith a guy and i dont think i should explain y im gay if u cant explain y ur straight
    the end and we have barry said a sentece to each other and she wont even look at me ahhh i have no idea of what to do someone please help:bang::bang::help::help:
    p.s. srry for the length

2. Ontarioboy187

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom is like that too. I too am looking for advice so i cant be much help sorry. but one thing you shouldn't do is apologize just to end the fight because from i read u were in the right. Well i hope all goes well for you.

3. Goethe

i myself am going through the same thing. the only thing i can say is to give it time. my mom doesn't know about me being gay but she knows my sister is lesbian and she was just like that with her. as time has gone by she has become more open and has accepted it. i know its hard but just hang in there. (*hug*)

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Justin,

You don't say how long you've been out to your mom, but from that transcript, it sounds like it hasn't been very long. She is probably still going through the stages of grief, the first of which is denial.

At the same time, it does sound like she is trying to be supportive and accepting of you, even though it doesn't sound like she's educated on the issue yet if she's calling it a choice. If she is strongly religious, then you have that to contend with also; her religious beliefs about gay people are putting her in conflict with her love for her son.

As for your therapist, if you are not getting benefit from it, then you either aren't making an effort, or you have a therapist who isn't a good match for you.

Therapy should be a process where you learn about yourself and understand how your experiences in life affect how you relate to people, and ultimately enable you to have a happier and more rich live experience. Your therapist should be someone you can trust and open up to completely, someone you feel safe sharing and exploring even the most vulnerable parts of yourself. If that isn't the case, and you've been seeing him for more than a handful of sessions, you should consider asking your parents to try a different therapist.

Also, if you are going to a Christian or other "reparative" therapist who is trying to convince you that you aren't gay, that is neither helpful to you nor ethical on the part of the therapist, and you really need to get a different therapist.

The fact that they're willing to pay for therapy for you is a wonderful and supportive gesture on their part, I know dozens of people who would *kill* for the opportunity to get therapy, so I'd suggest you make the best of it and find a therapist that will genuinely be someone who will benefit you.

5. Just Adam

i feel your pain man i cant even think of getting to that stage so you should be proud of confronting her on the issue.

all you can do is give her time and move on with your life, if she loves you as her son then she will accept you,

6. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Consider reminding her that you love her, that you always will, and that its important that you love yourself, and that you do. Great job from the transcript reminding her that it is nothing more than who you are. Way to live with authenticity and integrity! Wish our politicians followed your lead!