1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Help!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gina000, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Gina000

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi My name is gina, i am 17 and i am a lesbian. I am planing on coming out to my dad in the next couple of weeks. All of my friends know but none of my family. i have alwyas told myself that i would come out if i wanted him to meet someone that was important to me, and always figured that it would be after i moved out. But i feel like i am lieing to my family and am keeping the best part of myself from them.....if any one has any advice or comments please help me.

:help: :help: (&&&) :help: :help:

2. dude99

dude99 Guest

well like you I want to come out to Dad soon. Its not going to be easy and I not living with him either. Its not easy even for people that dont live with their parents. Well you can test the waters saying positive stuff about being a lesbian and say stuff like Ellen de generious, or lesbian celerbraties that have come out and saying that they are positive role models for lesbians. If they react negiativly towards lesbians then it be best to tell them when you move out.

sorry I cant offer any more help.

3. Just Adam

hi welcome :slight_smile:

i think you should only come out if your ready and comfortable and seeing as how you havent id say you arent, its ok to be worried or nervous of their reaction and it is ebst to plan for worst scenraio but hope for the best to believe in them

you are right though you do ow it to them and you to be open otherwise theres nothign but lies in the relationship and family should be about love not lies, but only you can decided when you aer ready to talk to them there is no preassure they will understand why you find it hard and they love you they will support you :slight_smile:

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

it's not easy to some, others it is.

It is up to you whether you want to come out now or not; I can help you if you want to come out to him via a letter, etc.

5. Jeff214

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As others have said, you should come out only when you feel ready. I know that may not sound very helpful right now. It used to drive me nuts when people said that to me because I always thought "How do I know when I'm ready?!"

As cliche as this sounds, you'll know when you know. It's just something you can feel.

I, also, would recommend testing the waters. Look up some LGBT news or something like that. See how they respond to it. Pay attention to how they react when something is said on TV or in a movie. Not sure where you're from but you could mention Ellen DeGeneres. See how they react to that. She's a fairly well known lesbian.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  7. Gina000

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    BitterEdge it would be great if u could help me with a letter to my dad i think im gonna write him one and give it to him sitting face to face because i will etier chicken out or break out in tears
    im a regular member or what ever go i cant private msg

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could help but I'm not out to my family. However...I enjoyed the coloured font :slight_smile: