1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sisterly Help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tim, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, so I normally wouldn't post any of this, but I'm kind've torn atm.

My sister recently lost her job (for a stupid reason I might add), and her boyfriends family still hates her, which adds to her stress. Today, she asked me to go for a walk, so I did.

During this time, she told me she has been taking my mom's pills and taking them to feel better. She asked me not to tell mom, because I'm her brother and she knows I won't, but it's unsettling.

On top of this, she throws up almost everyday, and says its because of her Ulcers. She takes medicine for them now, but she still throws up, so I'm starting to believe she might be Bolemic, because she wants to lose weight bad.

So, I don't know what to do - Tell mom about the pills, and make her bring up the possible Bolemia up to her doctor the next time she sees her (They share a doctor), or just keep it to myself. I know the smart thing would be to tell my mom, as she has tried to OD before, but she made me promise, and I don't want to break it... for the first time ever, I'm completely confused on what I should do... :help:

2. hackingnomberr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You need to have a full fledged intervention yourself and if that doesn't change, then you need to tell the mom's as lame as that sounds.

3. Eleanor Rigby

I think the first thing to do is to talk to your sister. If she asked you for a walk and told you all that things it's probably because she feels very upset with the all situation and maybe she also realize in a confused way that she is doing something wrong for her health. It also means that she trusts you very much.
    I suggest you to ask for a walk with her yourself and to tell her that you are very worried for her because you love her. Tell her that she has to stop taking your mother's pills, that it is dangerous for her and that if she needs some help she has to go to see a doctor. Mybe you can even offer to come with her if she wants you too. Also tell her that if she doesn't stop, you'll be obliged to tell your mom because you can't let her doing dangerous things without letting your mother know.
    As for her eating issues, tell her that you are also very worried and that is there something she wants to tell you you're there for her.
    Try to be as supportive as you could but also be firm with the fact you can't let her go on with this without doing anything.
    I hope everything will be fine, Take care, Eleanor

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If you think there is a danger that she may hurt herself or have such an unhealthy disorder, I suggest that you: 1) commit her or 2) tell your mother.

Again, I know it may be a broken promise, but you have to think about her safety. I'm guessing you would rather have your sister be angry at you than be dead.

5. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Confront her, she'll deny it. Tell your mom, she'll feel betrayed. I say this a lot, I'd rather have someone mad at me than someone hurt, in pain or dead. But confront her first, do a mock confrontation on diffrent ways she would respond and how you can take on those question to make her see she has a problem and that your worried. If all else fails, have her be mad at you...you know what I mean.

6. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there
    Sounds as if you are in a really difficult position. Your sister has trusted you with a piece of information and the danger is that if you betray that trust she wont speak to you about it again. I assume from your post that she is a younger sister.

I think the best thing to do is speak to your sister directly about all your concerns. It also depends if you are willing to be the "responsible adult" in all this. Tell her that you are really worried about it and that you will go to the doctor with her. Tell her at the very least she should be going to the doctor again to sort out her "ulcer" because if she is vomiting recurrently then the treatment she is on is not effective and it needs to be changed.

I wouldn't necessarily go straight to your mom about it...but if you genuinely feel that she is a risk to herself then you may have to do that. good luck matexx

7. Tim

Tim

No, she is older, which is why most the dilemma is there, she should know better...

I'm still unsure what to do, but I'll figure something out...

8. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow. OK well then she's an adult. I'm not sure what telling your mom will achieve...will your mom be able to persuade your sister to see someone about it? The thing is that by informing your mom of the situation you will just distance yourself from your sister.

The best thing is to speak to your sister directly because she obviously trusts you, having already told you everything. If she wont have any of it and you're really worried about her...then it would be time to get other family members involved.

9. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck. My vote is the tell her how much you love her and how concerned you are for her. I once had a "buddy" ask me to give him some of my pills. Turned out he was hooked on em. Ended up destroying his life. Sounds like she's reached out to you for help. That's awesome. That suggests she will listen to you. Maybe use her same approach. Ask her to take a walk with you. Tell her you hate to see her suffer and don't want to see her get into a worse place. As her what she thinks you can do to help. My prayers are with you both.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While you don't know the extent of the problem she has with pill usage, depending on what types of pills they are and her frequency of use, this could be either already a serious problem or rapidly heading there. If the pills are for pain (Vicodin, Lortab, Oxycontin, Dilaudid, etc) then the risk of addiction is high. Adding the suspected bulemia on top, and you have a combination of a pretty serious psychological problem *and* a potential physical addiction

You may want to consider going to an Al-Anon meeting or two. This is a group for family members of people with addictive behaviors. It's primarly for alcoholics, but the issues are essentially the same, and many of the people who are attending also have family members with eating disorders. You will find a lot of support and advice from people who have been in the same place you are.

Keep us informed. Just having people to talk to will help you to stay focused on helping her.