1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long-distance relationship

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiorino, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Fiorino

So, I've been going out for a week with my new boyfriend...who lives in Argentina!
    There's a background to it, so I'll start there: In January, for the third time in 3 years,
    I had an exchange student from Argentina stay with me for a week (different guy each year). Let's call him X. A few weeks after he left, I got a facebook friend request from this guy, let's call him A. X was our only common friend, so I thought it was kind of funny since he didn't even go on the trip to France, but I also wondered if maybe he had a crush on me... So fast forward to April. For Easter Vacation I end up going to Argentina to see my friends that I've made there. (Yes, I know :icon_bigg ) Towards the end of my stay, when I was staying at X's house, I inquired about A, and asked if we could meet, but it apparently wasn't possible (even though A later told me that X had his number and even his phone, so he could have easily contacted him). Well, I was dissapointed but couldn't do anything about it so I got back home, had to deal with a month and a half of studying and prepping for tests, and then towards the end of June, I started talking A again, just to see if my suspicions were right, and he finally replied "Let's face it, you're hot". haha, that made me smile SO big. After that, I asked for his msn adress and we've been talking on that for a little more than a week now. Well, of course there was tons of flirting going on, and one thing led to another and we've been going out a week tomorrow. We've Skyped three times already (and two times, it was 4 hours each) and we have an obvious like for eachother (we just kind of click). We are trying to work out seeing eachother, but it looks like it won't be possible until probably January. I've dealt with things like this before, I didn't see my best friend (8600km or 5400 mi away) for six months (without skype too), so I think that it's feasable. I don't know, I just want the input of you guys, especially those of you who give good advice. I know that this relationship may not last until January, then again it could last a lot longer. I'm pretty open minded and ready to see how things turn out, we both really want it to work, but if we end up mutally agreeing to just be friends then I can accept that too. We're both starting to fall for eachother, he calls me "pirate" (butt pirate :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and I call him "cowboy", and we're officially a couple on facebook as of today. I've given it a lot of thought, this relationship isn't like others where you can physically be with your partner (often), but we can still be there emotionally and in other ways, and I think I'm ok with that. It's not quite like a close-distance relationship, but it's not being single either. Also, I will be moving in a month so the distance will shrink from 11000km (6,800 miles) to 8000km (5,000 miles), still a bit far though. I should note that I'm used to having family across the ocean, but I do get to see them twice a year at least.
    Thoughts?

#1 Fiorino, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. Ben

Ben

If you're willing to work with the distance, then go for it.

A family member of mine is in a long term relationship with a person in Australia (about 10,000 miles away), and they're happy together/apart.

It all depends on whether you're happy having a boyfriend who you will not see every day. Everyone wants different things from a relationship, so if this works for you both then it's all good. If you want something different from the relationship then it might be time to question whether it's worth it.

3. Helen

Helen Guest

^What Ben said.

Not just you, as well, you have to be sure that *he's* up for it as well. You sound like you're okay with just having the emotional side of things, but I'm telling you this from my own experience: you have to make sure he's being honest with you about him being okay with it too. Best to be cautious with these things, I found out the hard way :frowning2:

4. Just Adam

i agree im hoping long distance can work for people lol

you two after he said well your hot lol get it on click great well teheres no reason you cant have a relationship distance isa bitch we need teleporters but till then as long as your both commited it can work :slight_smile: it jsut makes the times your together really more special and maybe one day you can live together or atleast closer lol:slight_smile:

5. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeeeeee Hawwwwwwww! Good luck! Hope it continues to go well for you. What a great way to use Skype.

6. olides84

OK, sorry but I'll just provide an alternate opinion here.

You say you are moving in a month. Is that to go to university or something? Guessing that it is, you will be changing up your entire life, meeting new people, experiencing a much different environment. Now of course you can do all this having a long-distance committed boyfriend in Argentina, but do you really want to get that emotionally involved with someone just one month before such a major change in your life? I'm wondering if just being good friends, for now, is the better option.

7. Fiorino

Yeah, it's for University. I think you have a point, but why not give it a go anyway and if I realize that it's not going to work just be friends? Like, I REALLY like this guy, and these things don't always have perfect timing. I'll be in University in a month and a half, so who knows where we'll be then. We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

8. Just Adam

i say just go with it if things dont work out your great friends but allways try in life as u never know else :slight_smile:

9. Fiorino

Thanks for the support, and I agree you should always go for things in life.
    Never know what you might be missing :slight_smile:

10. Just Adam

thats teh spirit we never know where our true loves are they may be anywher ein the world but with love you allways have to try it is the greatest and the most devastating thing there is... but allways worth going for

jsut enjoy it (*hug*)

11. olides84

Hey I hear you - who knows where it will lead? But I wasn't cautioning you in case it didn't work. I was cautioning in case it did work and you arrive at uni having a recently-developed, very long-distance boyfriend who you've never met. I'd just want to be sure that you AND him both have your eyes wide open, because in my opinion going to university DOES change so many dynamics of your life. I know it's cliche to see bf/gf's back home get dumped once the other goes off to uni, but it is very common. Good luck :slight_smile: