1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay club...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Mugwump

My (straight) friend wants to take me to a gay/lesbian night club sort of thing. She has some gay friends she goes with sometimes, and she is very supportive of me trying to work myself out. I suppose I am just looking for some advice on whether to go and/or what to expect. So, some info:
    • I think I like girls but I'm not identifying as 'lesbian' yet
    • I am bad bad bad at clubs and social things at the best of times
    • In the last few months I have developed for the first time a desire to have a partner (I've never had one before). It's like I have hit puberty in my 20s!
    • I am worried that if I go out I will feel inferior because there will be all these gay people around and I won't feel like I fit

So is it bad to go out and potentially meet people when I am not 100% definately gay? What can I expect? Like I said, I'm not too good with social stuff anyway, but this would be VERY new and different/scary. But... I do want to go. Would people actually ask if you're gay? Should I be honest right from the start and say 'I'm not sure', or should I just go along with things? All I want right now is a girlfriend... I don't know why I can't make things simpler.

2. Just Adam

i know how you feel about going out and it beeing awkward like you dont fit but you will also be out with your friends so it can be fun, sure you will meet people be it just passing or you get chatting you dont have to identify as lesbian you dont have to pounce each other its ok to chat and it may also help you work out how you feel you may find yourself flirting you never know.

i think its good to get out there and experience these things to realise your not alone that there are so many people and its a whle new world to discover sure its scary to begin with but its amaising how soon it jsut becomes a bar or a club there jsut people dancing and drinking...

just have fun with your friends and chat to people :slight_smile:

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you should go :slight_smile: I haven't been gay clubbing yet, but I do think honesty is definitely your best policy. If someone does ask, "I'm not sure yet" or "I don't know, but I do like girls" are totally acceptable answers. Not everyone who goes gay clubbing is gay - there will be straight people there with friends (like your friend), bi people, and people like you who aren't too sure yet.

4. Eleanor Rigby

I don't think the fact you're 100% sure about your sexuality would be relevant to refuse. No one will ask you if you're 100% sure to be gay to allow you entering the club :icon_wink
    If someone every esk you about your orientation, you can just answer that you're still wondering.
    I think you should go without expecting anything else than having a great time. Don't expect to find a girlfriend on your first time there (you may, but I don't want you to be disapointed if that doesn't happened), but hopefully it will help you to feel more comfortable with yourself.
    Have a great time and take care (*hug*)

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What she said.

In all honesty I normally don't see people asking other people about their orientation. The only times I've had anyone ask me is the rare chance they're interested in me. If you go with her friends, they may ask, and you can simply say "I'm not sure". I went gay clubbing a couple times with friends while I was trying to figure myself out, and they never asked.

I find it like most other clubs where the music is so loud, you don't really have a lot of conversations anyways.

But it's not like a gay only zone, where you must be gay to be welcomed.

And I'm not so big on 'picking up' at the bar, so the only people I meet there are 'friends of friends'

6. Mugwump

Thanks people :slight_smile: You all have such friendly and useful advice! Nice to get a feel for what I am in for. I think I will go. In all honesty environments that are dark, noisy and crowded tend to make me panic, but I am pretty interested in going and I'm also pretty over being scared of everything, so going will probably be a good thing.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only know of one lesbian club near me, and it's actually more of a coffeehouse. But if lesbian clubs are anything like gay clubs, you can try this.

* Put on a dance mix of a currently semi-popular song with overly-Pro-Tooled vocals. Turn up the volume until you can feel it in your sternum. Then turn it up two notches more.
    * Fix yourself a mixed drink. Skimp on the alcohol. Overload it with ice, and water it down just a tad.
    * Turn the lights off until you can't see.

You're now at a gay club. :slight_smile:

Go. Have a good time. Enjoy people watching. You might see that most people seem more self-assured. That's not because they're better, or more secure - that's because they've been there before, and with their friends. People are much more confident in known surroundings, around known people. Keep your eyes peeled for "solos" - they're the ones with heads cast down, furtively looking around, sipping their drinks. They're much more likely to want someone to approach and chat. So go approach and chat with them.

Lex

#7 Lexington, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  8. Markio

I don't like clubbing anymore, but I would say go at least once for the experience. If it's anything like a gay club, it should be too loud to really talk to people. The most fun part is watching people be crazy and gay. There are also plenty of straight people at gay clubs, for some reason, so don't worry if you don't know where you fall on the spectrum.

Warning: You'll probably be there very late, like until 2 in the morning. That was my least favorite part of clubbing, next to the dancing part.

9. Mugwump

Actually you know what? The description of clubs from many of you has matched my idea of a nightmare. I would only be going because I don't know where else to meet gay people. Maybe it's not such a good idea.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing wrong with going. It's just like a standard dance club. I don't think it's an ideal place to meet people, mainly because it's hard to interact with someone when the music's that loud. :slight_smile: Feel free to go and check it out, but remember there are plenty of other places and ways to meet other gay people.

Lex

11. Mugwump

Really? Where?! :grin: I am not afraid of going because it's a gay club, I am afraid of going because I have social anxiety disorder and clubs are not so good for me. So if there are other places I would like to know!!

12. Nitro

Depending on the size of the community and level of organization you could find gay self-help groups, political groups, gay community bands, gay football (soccer) teams, gay swim teams, the list goes on. Finding them can be a small of a challenge but a good place to start would be to find one more general pride organization and it will likely be able to recommend other groups for specific interests. Google is pretty good too.

13. Aero

I'm sure your curiosity outweighs your anxiety... so go. :icon_wink

14. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Here's my experience and hopefully it helps you feel better.

I was very nervous about going to my first gay dance. Let me tell you, they're quite queer indeed. (in every aspect to the word) Think more pop, more Brittney Spears, Justin Timberlake, and less Hiphop/RB and less bumpin' grindin'. Think funky chicken, macarana, and N'SYNC choreography. Now, make the music ridiculously loud. Add some obnoxious bright lights and darkened room with rainbows out and about.

That's a gay dance.

Dunno about a dance club, but most of the dance's I've been to have been like the above. I'm not used to 'gay' dances, so I was kinda at a loss at times when people were really clubbing, in the sense that I learned how to.

15. Mugwump

LOL probably - I tend to be quite a stubborn little chicken when it comes to things I want to do, anxiety or not. The worst that can happen is I'll panic and have a crap time, so I suppose that's not too bad.

Thanks! Alright I'll go but there's not way I am dancing! I'll just watch and hold people's bags for them. I've never danced at a club before, and I don't see myself starting just cos it's a gay one!

BTW, sorry for replying to my own thread so many times! I feel like such a dork...

16. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

You're so not a wales' penis.
    :roflmao:

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The secret is, no one can dance, and no one cares.

18. Mugwump

Oh dear!! Well I take that back then... :lol:

19. jacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out I was bullrushed by the GSA at my school. I was totally different from them (jock, wear sweatpants everyday lol) and they wanted to parade me around. And I didn't like it. I am proud of who I am but I feel that they flaunt it and that annoys me. I found much more support from other friends (gay or straight) who were pretty laid back about it. It all depends on

a. the group

b. what you are looking for