1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your Culture a Barrier?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RAJ Aladdin, Jul 7, 2009.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I have a question. Do you consider your culture or ethnicity a barrier that prevents your family from accepting your sexuality?

For instance, in my country of origin Homosexuality is still illegal. So my country isn't as open minded as others these days. It's like they refuse to change and thus my parents and other family members are products of these views and they thrust these views upon me (which obviously I don't accept) but if I try to defend alternative lifestyles they start getting angry. This is my experience. Am I the only one? My ancestry is Caribbean- a very Homophobic culture (sadly) and so, I realize now, a very close-minded culture.

2. jonny

I too am from he caribbean, what island are u from?

3. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Even though it's not an island LOL!

4. Markio

Sort of. Mostly on my mom's side, though. My grandfather is Italian and really Catholic: he was left-handed but forced by nuns to write with his right hand. My grandmother is German, and as such she is a little misogynistic (hatred of women), having stated that she wished she had only male children (this would always upset my mother). Apparently misogyny and homophobia go hand in hand, and it shows through my mother's disgust of homosexuality.

But they're from America. They'll learn, someday, way in the future...

5. jonny

It's also Kinda not the caribbean. I knew a guy from their once and yes he was gay he nvr told me it was illegal there. Funny story how we met. U still live there.

6. Kirakishou

Yes.
    Being the only son in a Chinese family does not make you want to come out anytime soon.

7. Just Adam

my culture well family is very old fashioned and so coming out would be bad and my farther is stereotypical macho lad guy so that aint very good either

yea cultures a bitch

8. BasketCase

It kind of is and isnt.

I'm catholic born, so are most of my friends and acquaintences, and on listening to them it makes me reluctant to come out to them. At the same time the more general culture that I come from is a whole lot more forgiving and public representatives are, in the main, fully supportive of gay rights. It gives some hope.

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My ethnicity is mainly Irish (75%), and 1/8 English and 1/8 Italian.

Due to the fact that I'm about the 4th generation of my family in this country, our culture really is American with a lot of Irish subculture, so there really isn't a lot of homophobia - most of my family doesn't care that I'm gay.

10. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  11. Harve

I live in a very rural and conservative area, imo people tend to me a bit naive and narrowminded compared to urban areas, which are more diverse: at my school of 1400 there is no-one who isn't English or Eastern European AFAIK, and that is in a medium sized town too. Ofc the UK is a tolerant country, but i guess there's 'passive' homophobia by default in some places.

12. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I'm Torontonian. Maybe he didn't know it was illegal? It's not exactly a topic people enjoy talking about. My mom and I saw a Guyanese movie two years ago (it was like Guyana's first ever independent film LOL) and one of the major issues was Homosexuality and it was a story about 20-somethings trying to make a band. When the topic of Homosexuality came up many of the main characters (remember their in their 20s) were CLUELESS about Homosexuality. And I started laughing because I thought it was absurd how 20-somethings didn;t know what it was but my mom told me "No, it's true. Because no one talks about Homosexuality in Guyana no one knows what it is. Grown people don't even know what it is." I was shocked.

13. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Oh and I am well aware that Guyana is GEOGRAPHICALLY NOT Caribbean but culturally it is :slight_smile: Where are you from?

14. jonny

Lol u started it. Comm of Dominica. So it's taboo then. Well ur in a different place than I thought u were, legally that is. Ur prob is convincing ur parents not living ur life in Guyana. I was a bit confused.

Ur situation is similiar to mostly every one the nurture concept, it's going to be hard for them to accept it especially if their not open minded. In ur case it's even worse as u make it sound it's illegal where ur from Guyana/Caribbean. The thing is they don't really have a reson to change it doesn't affect them so they don't think much of it. Are u out???anyways, that's where u come in. People can change they just need something to put hen in perspective and time. The question whethe ur willing to risk it in hopes that they can change.

15. jonny

I guess I didn't really answer ur question did I oh well I'll get back to u on my culture.

16. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

They still need to get out of that small minded business. They're too smart to keep on thinking like that! It saddens me. People in general are too smart to think like that anymore.

17. jonny

True but is it a constant issue with them. Do they discuss everyday. Do they even know ur gay or just a human rights activist. Unless they have a reason to change y should they. Most parents don't consider these things until their children tell them. Most times their love for their kids allows them to change because not changing is worse. People only evolve if they have to. It's a response to a change in their environment which would be u. Hey but don't quote me it's a new concept I'm working on.

18. crimsonarcher

My parents were born on the western coast of Mexico, and I don't know about the liberal/conservative demographics in mexico, but it's not that liberal. My dad, however, is one of the most conservative men I have ever seen in person. Overall, the Mexican ethnicity is not immediately supportive of homosexuals, let alone transgendered individuals, as far as I know. Because of the dominant roman catholic presence, it is very difficult. Many of my family members are very thickheaded; they won't accept defeat, whether in debate, etc., and will deny till they die. It is that bad.

Over the years, however, I think Mexico is slowly growing fond GLBTQ individuals. Civil unions are only current in two areas; the capital, Mexico City, and the state of Coahuila.
    I don't think anywhere in Mexico is same-sex marriage available. It sucks!

19. Kryz

Both my parents are from Small towns away from everything here in Mexico. So THEIR culture is a barrier.

I am from the Mexico City [born and raised] and well here the whole thing is different, there are all kinds of ppl here and everybody acts a different way about homosexuality. But over all it is a pretty accepting place to live in, it even has a whole gay [LGBT] neighborhood called "the Pink Zone". So yeah I love it here, just not my parents way of thinking.