1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BitterEdge, Jul 8, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Yes, the awful thing called identity theft has hit me and tried to run up my credit cards but caught it early.

Word of advice, guard your credit cards and don't use sketchy looking atms. I think it happened when I went to Bulgaria this fall actually.

2. Markio

:icon_eek:Aw man, that sucks. It's a good thing you caught on, though. Now I'm gonna go check my balance...

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sucks :frowning2: Sorry to hear that. Good thing you managed to catch it early on, though.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

That sucks >.< .

I had an identity protection service from Capital One (I have a credit card from them), but I canceled it when I ran out of money xD .

5. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

So, they used your ID to use your credit cards? As in plural?

What do sketchy looking ATM's look like? :lol:
    I see those every now and then but anything that isn't in a Walmart/Target looks sketchy to me. Hopefully you had protection plans. I usually check my money and accounts (all 4) every 5 days. :slight_smile: Or sometimes before I go shopping. Hopefully, you don't have too much credit? I only have 5k and I'm 20. :lol: I feel like I'm really behind or something when I hear about those people with like 50k credit. I've never dinged my credit except for looking at the scores, never missed a payment or anything and it's so low. :tantrum:

6. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I had 25 k in credit, during my days when I had money (before Europe). My bank told me to go after the retailers and some retarded company in Cali whom is sketch and then contact them if they don't give me credit. If not my bank will go after them since they didn't ask for proper validation.

7. hiddendc4

it pays to be vigilant about your money. it's also good that you caught it early, most people don't. i had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago, mine happened because i used the wrong website and some body in france tried running my card up thankfully i notice it before it got out of hand. oh and ive never been out of the country either so thats what really tripped me out lol.

8. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Police in Brisbane are finding 'skimmers' on machines throughout the city thesedays. These are small devices that record your details with a small device generally found as an add on to the original machine but makes it look like it is factory standard. They place new keypads over the top of the existing keypad to capture the data punched in on the key pad.

I think most banks these days have some program or department to track dodgey spendings.

But here is a wonderful brochure on identifying skimmers or PIN capturing devices at atm's from my bank

http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/apply-online/download-printed-forms/ATM_awareness_guide.pdf

9. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That's just scary. You know people who do this shit make me sick cause they are going after poor people alot of the time...they should get a damn job.

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

A funny twist in the story: I called one company which my card was used at and apparently the person bought and I quote "sex novelties", she told me she would credit my card.....she laughed as did I.