1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pissed off with my friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob4carl09, Jul 9, 2009.

1. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

I'm in a crappy mood.

I got a text from my friend this morning telling me to tune in at a certain time to one of those topical magazine type tv shows at a certain time this morning. Figuring he was having a funny and being cautious cus my gran was around, I streamed it on my laptop instead, and it was a preview by the cast of Naked Boys Singing! a musical opening this week in London.

I'm pissed at him, cus he knows I'm living with my grandmother, and he also knows I'm not out to her yet. I'm also pissed because I presume that asssumed I'd be interested just cus some scantally clad guys are dancing around on stage. I think of all it took for me to come out to him, and his epic response - after months of barely talking about me being gay aside from little quips either way on occasion - is "here Simon, totty". Maybe it's my fault for being jokey about it sometimes to, but some days it feels like the only way I can avoid ignoring my sexuality is to be a bit jokey about things, which is my response across the board I might add.

Am I overeacting?

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Sounds like you're overreacting a little bit.

But your friend sounds insensitive and not culturally competent. That seems to be his problem more than anything else. Don't joke too much otherwise you could create that problem. Because you're joking too much or perhaps making light of some issues, he may try to mimic you and start making that a habit. So, I'd just warn him you don't like it first before flying off on any tangents. But that's just my 2 cents Simon.

Have a fantastic day~ :smilewave

3. Glunn11

I do agree with Enigma in that you are overreacting, but I'm guilty of that as well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Of course, he should be more careful with things as sensitive as your sexuality -- god knows coming out when you don't want to is a terrible situation. But, from what I've gathered, he didn't account for the possibilities himself, and it doesn't sound intentional.

I'd just ask him to be more careful. :slight_smile:

4. littledinosaurs

It just seems like he didn't think about it before he sent it and just did it as a joke. So be mad, but don't let it bother you for a while.

But based on the fact that he's joking about it it would appear that he's fine with you being gay and treating it just like any other aspect of your life. So it's kind of a good sign...sorta.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a straight friend who was always a bit sarcastic (we had a mutually sarcastic way of communicating together.)

He would often send me stuff like that soon after I came out, and one year he bought me a birthday present of a calendar with a bunch of nearly-naked hot guys. I think he was genuinely, in his tough-macho-sarcastic way, trying to let me know he was OK with my being gay without actively talking about it, so I never really worried about it.

However, I totally agree that it was very insensitive to do that knowing you're living with a relative you aren't out to.

So I'd say be mad at his being thoughtless, but maybe be appreciative that he feels comfortable enough to send you funny things like this.