1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scared to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ready2bout, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ready2bout

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have recently accepted that I am gay and I am in the process of coming out. I want to tell my parents first and almost told them the other night but chickened out. I am scared as to what they will think of me when they realize that I am gay. I did recently tell a very good female friend of mine and she was very accepting. She actually is going to hook me up with a guy from her work. Any advice on what I can expect from my parents?

2. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, and welcome to EC :slight_smile:
    I know it's hard to come out to parents(in fact, they had to force it out of me!), but a good plan would be to head to the top of this forum and read the stickies on what to expect, and parent/family stages of grief. Good luck coming out!
    -Jim

3. jroakwood

hah. i dont think i will be of much help since i still havent gotten the balls to do it myself.
    but all i can say is that im sure it will be alright.

i mean, theyre your parents.
    theyll love you no matter what im sure. =)

4. Sam

Sam

welcome to EC! coming out to your parents is usually the scariest thing you have to do. I think I almost had a nervous breakdown trying to do it. the thing you have to do is make sure you do it when you are completely ready and then you'll figure it out. I really don't know what advice to give you because everybody has to come out in their own way. you'll know what to do when you are ready. for the record I chickened out many times before I actually did it. good luck.