1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do in my position?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RAJ Aladdin, Jul 10, 2009.

1. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Okay,

I've had a HUGE crush on a friend of a friend and I've crushed on him from afar. Well, my friend had a get-together and he (my crush) was there. My friend generally, not personally, introduced me to everyone there, like "Hey everybody this is my friend (insert name here)". I still don't think my crush noticed or gave much attention to me. My crush is cute, responsible, decent, hella handsome, and very smart.

Problems:
    1) He's a year older than me so he's going into his final year of University and I'm going into my third, so even if I had the guts to ask him out or at least get better acquainted he'll be out of University by my fourth year- how can I have a relationship that would last a year? He'd be gone while I'd be stuck in school.

2) He's more out than I am. I don't know if he's out to his family but he is very out at our school's LGBT Committee. I'm still trying to figure my ass out! Why would he want a closet case like me?

3) I've never been in ANY kind of relationship before...girl, boy...why should he invest in a novice?

What should I do? What would you do? :confused:

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thinking "he'd never want me" is a surefire way of missing out. If you're convinced that someone is out of your league and that nothing will ever happen between you, it's easy to wall yourself away and ignore any signs that he might actually be interested because you think "he's just being friendly, he can't want someone like me".
    A year's not an insurmountable age gap, and the distance thing can be worked through. Everyone has a first relationship sometime, and if he's more out than you are, he might be able to help you through it. Can you tell your mutual friend about him? Not that you're interested in him, but just that you think he seems like a good person to hang out with.

3. Miles D

here's what I think about your points.

1) year-long relationships are considered long even for college students. why not just have a little fun for a year, nothing too serious?

2) as long as you are willing to give a relationship with him a try, then it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think you or he wants to have a closeted relationship, so as long as you are willing to not hide yourself or your possible relationship.

3) everyone has a first. it's a fact of life, and it's bound to happen. sometime you'll date someone less experienced than you. I don't think it's necessarily a turn-off by any means.

I'd get to know him, and see if a relationship is even a possibility. No harm in trying. Go for it, even if it ends up being short-lived. :grin:

4. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

My God, you guys are good! LOL!

"Who needs psychiatrists when I've got you guys?" -Carrie Bradshaw

You guys make some awesome points! I'm so silly firecasuesburns! I didn't think to ask my friend! Thanks, I definitely contemplate that!

mediumdietcoke (love your name btw) your 1) opinion gives me hope.

Thanks guys, you're the best :slight_smile: