1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay VS God

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by malachite, Jul 13, 2009.

1. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew that title would get your attention.
    This is going to be a long one so put those reading glasses on.
    And, I’m putting it in support/advice because I want anyone having these thoughts to read it.

So one of my friends comes to me with her friend, I don’t know why she came to me I guess she thinks I know stuff. Anyway, we’ll call this kids Bobby. Bobby is gay and Bobby was raised super religious. Bobby is terrified he is going to Hell because he is gay. I’ve also seen some people post concerns about God and their gayness.
    So here are my thoughts:

Do you really thinks God is going to damn you to Hell with murders, thieves, and rapists because you’re gay? If being gay was really such an unholy offense what isn’t it one of the 10 commandments?
    Back in the day only the church was allowed to read from the Bible, plus most working class people couldn’t read. With all the hands the Bible passed through, and all the translations, do you really believe no one added their own perspective? Think about this: all the pen holders were men, yes? Think about how women are portrayed in the Bible: women are responsible for the first sin and a woman asks for the head of John the Baptist, in fact Mary is about the only positive woman in the damn thing. Doesn’t the Bible seem a little gender biased? I can’t help but think since all the people in power then men that might have a little something to do with it.

Now if some people are still saying, “But the Bible says…!”
    The Bible has plenty of contradictions: eye for an eye/turn the other cheek is just one example I’m not going into all of them. I would be here are weeks.

Long and short of it is: The Bible is NOT some set of rules to live your life, rather it is a tool to help each person identify with the Lord. Is God really going to smite you because you like the same sex? Remember when eating meat on a Friday was supposed to be a one way ticket to Hell? If you are really worried about your immortal soul then try to lead a good life, that’s the best anyone can do, and I doubt God would ask more then you can actually give.

#1 malachite, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. shireguy

Another thing to add. It also says in the Bible the divorced couples will go straight to hell as well yet there are no hate groups for them least that i don't know off. What i'm trying to say is, you can't say do this out of the bible but don't do that, it's just not right.

3. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Thank you for making a topic I LOVE....GOD LOVES ALL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL!!!!!! God loves each and every single one of His children...EVERYONE!

And you wouldn't be here for weeks love, you'd be here for years :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You know it says in Leviticus a man can stone his daughter for any reason of disobedience? When was the last time YOU saw a father stone his daughter because she was out pass curfew? I know I haven't!

Oh, and this is something I've always found funny...premarital sex is a big no no in the Bible...yet PEOPLE DO IT!!!! AND Love without marriage is unheard of in the Holy Book....BUT COMMON LAW IS GETTING BIGGAH! So these (and A WHOLE LOTTA OTHERS!) can be accepted- why can't homosexuality?

I also think (I don't know what passage- BUT YOU CAN BET YOUR SWEET BIPPY IT'S IN LEVITCUS LOL) that you can't eat shellfish...I have loved Red Lobster for years now before I even knew about this passage...guess I damned myself the minute I ate that lobster...at the age of like, 11!!!

Long story short: GOD LOVES YOU NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! JUST DO GOOD FOR HIM AND YOURSELF AND TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED! Did not Jesus say "Love one another as I have loved you"? Yeah, I thought so! LOL! I'd tell your friend 'yeah it's tough being Christian (especially Catholic-I know) but find your OWN PERSONAL SPECIAL place with God...I did and I have never (and never will) looked back :slight_smile: Tell Bobby I'll pray for him...seriously I will :slight_smile:

4. Shevanel

No. first off. If they only said Gays were going to Hell, then what about the Bi's Lesbians and Transgenders too? It actually makes no sense at all, since sexuality is fluid that you can pinpoint your sexuality with a needle. If you believe in God like I do, and like some others do, then you know he created us for love.

I know that there will be posts in this thread that will have no relevance to the question whatsoever, why people do that? for attention. But that didn't happen yet.

Anyway, Homosexuality isn't even a sin. at least within Catholicism. It really depends on what denomination you are that it considers what a sin and what not a sin. but that doesn't matter in the end, the Bible, the Church, Man: they're not judging you, they don't decide what a sin is and what isn't a sin, they don't send you to Hell, They have no power that way. God does, but he won't send you to Hell, especially for being who you are. Sent to Hell for spreading love? Nope. Unbelievable.

Thats exactly right, it's just a guide. Completely. And a guide made by people like a freakin long time ago. If there was any part of the Bible to follow more, it's the New Testament. If you believe in Jesus's divinity and whatnot, then his teachings are what to follow.

5. Aero

I don't normally entertain the idea, BUT.... IF a god existed, I don't think anyone really knows anything about it... and I think if you want to believe, you should believe in a god that makes sense... I mean, a god is not going to nitpick about things like your love for someone else... In my opinion, god would likely be more concerned with these so-called "god-fearing" people hating gay people than gay people loving each other.

What bother me is when good people are influenced into being hateful because they have been brainwashed to believe that something 2000-some years old still applies today.

The fact is, the bible was written by men... these men happened to be homophobic.
    Likewise, I'm bothered when good people, who are doing nothing wrong, are led to believe that they are damned for eternity based on this outdated opinion.

The bible is a literary work. It's a snap-shot of the life, views, opinions and laws of a group of people (not even all the people in the world) almost 2000 years old... Things have changed. We have gotten smarter. Yes, I said it. We are smarter today. Our common sense today exceeds what is written in the bible. And in 100 years, it will exceed what we understand today.
    Like a lot of the other posts have pointed out, there are a ton of contradictions and things that just aren't practical in the bible... they made sense back then, they don't today.

And as far as we know, homosexuality is a biological occurrence... it may OR may not be genetic, it may OR may not be hormonal... there is not yet a consensus on it, but we know it happens in many other species... is a biological occurrence. It occurs... it is what it is... it just happens. It may not be the norm, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All too true

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the good news is Bobby is feeling much better about himself. That is what matters to me.

8. Greggers

Just going to point out, the bible says "a man who lays with another man or a woman who lays with another woman" not gay/lesbian/bi. Its always concerning the act of homosexual intercourse whenever it comes up in the bible, and that leads many people to assume you can be gay and go to heaven if you dont act on the feelings, such as my old greek orthodox teacher in highschool who used to love to tell everyone this all the time.

However, thats of course not what i think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Everyone else has covered most of my thoughts on the subject.

I always love to break out the QAF quotes though!

"I think God appreciates you even more. Because he created you in his image. At least that's what I was always taught. And since God is love and God doesn't make mistakes, then you must be exactly the way he wants you to be. And that goes for every person, every planet, every mountain, every grain of sand, every song, every tear... and every faggot. We're all his. He loves us all."

9. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I'm honest I dont really know what I believe anymore with respect to my spirituality. But I do know this. I wouldnt want to believe in a God that condemns people for loving each other. If such a God existed then I think I would say to him/her/whoever that I have lived my life with all the intentions of being a good person and if that means I go to hell...well then what am I to do. If God turned around and said that loving a woman is a hell born sin....well then I wouldnt want to follow a God like that.

Religion is meant to guide you on a path of morality and goodness. Hate towards homosexuals, or any group in society, is not what my God would promote.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I don't have a problem with faith, I have a problem with blind faith.
    I think it was best said by Salma Hayek: "It doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brain has got to wake up!"

11. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And to expland on this: The more followers you have the more power and money you have. We all know a man and man can't make a baby either can a woman and a woman, so if the church encoraged homosexuality they wouldn't have asman y followers. Simple math.

12. stymied

stymied Guest

If heaven is where people like Fred Phelps are heading, and the gays are all going to hell, I think I'd rather party it up with Lucifer than be stuck listening to the diatribes of the Westboro Baptist Church.

13. djt820

I sure hope I go to hell. Better and cooler people.

14. Porphyrogenitus

No... the Bible itself isn't a set of rules by which to live your life, but you have to understand that most Christian denominations (barring, obviously, fundementalists) don't actually base everything on the Bible, but rather on their own specific set of doctrine - and this is what you have to deal with. So, for Catholicism, you go to your Catechism, which discusses homosexuality at 2357-2359, and says attraction to persons of the same sex isn't a sin, but that homosexual acts are, so you must practise chastity. But of course, we also know that everybody sins in their lives, and religions usually also offer ways to deal with that: cf. Catechism 1033 (on hell): "To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God's merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice." (emphasis added). If he's not a Catholic, this probably isn't much help, but hopefully you see my point.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that merely trying to point out the inadequacies of the Bible probably isn't going to convince anyone.

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate your point of view, but I don't feel he is doing anything wrong by acting on his homosexual feelings. That is the place I was tryng to get him to.

16. j1013

j1013 Guest

tbh, my understanding of my churches teachings is that being gay isnt a sin. i believe its the act that is deemed sinful and this covers all people and all sex not within marriage and for procreation. so as to wether, gay men who have sex with other men are sinners, id say yes. but humans are weak and flawed, i mean to even conceive the idea that u r perfect is blasphamous. i think as long as u try to live a good life and acknowledge ur failings. nothing should stop u entering the kingdom of heaven.

17. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    nice thread.

18. littledinosaurs

Good thread.

but the thing that really gets me is that anyone who believes the 'other wrong' religions is generally doomed for hell.
    So isn't most of the world going to hell for being 'wrong' anyways?
    And who is right?
    :confused:
    =\
    that's no fun.

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you read the whole faith thing?

20. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I studied religion a great deal and it is now common between ALL religions that there is ONE SUPREME ENTITY BUT different paths to reaching Him/Her/It...some choose the Christian path and call Him God, some the Jewish and call Him Yaweh/Abba, some Muslim calling Him Allah, some are Hindu and call Him/Her by 330 million different names, other choose the Native Religion and call It the Great Spirit...I could go on for days...but you get it...

Only problem is while a lot of major religious leaders have adopted this take on religion it is the hard headed followers (which make up the majority of the world) who go and say my religion can kick your religion's ass... because they have been taught to believe their religion is the best...and therein lies the rub. :slight_smile:

I am so glad to have an intelligent conversation with INTELLIGENT people. Thanks. :slight_smile: