1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

choices

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fallendream, Jul 13, 2009.

1. fallendream

today i got offended by someone saying gm not gay i just want attention, i could get them kicked out of school as homophobic students are frowned upon here - should i?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't call the statement homophobic. It doesn't say ALL gays are pretending - just you. :slight_smile: Just answer it in a factual manner. "If I just wanted attention, I could come up with a much better way than pretending to be gay."

Lex

3. fallendream

but persucuting someone over sexuality is homophobia - an injury to one is an injury to all

4. littledinosaurs

I wouldn't =\
    like yeah he's being a jerk, but unless he's constantly harassing your or severely interfering with your learning don't get him kicked out.

And Lex was right, it was a comment about you, not all LGB people.

5. fallendream

the fact it was aimed at one doesnt mean mean its not homophobia - calling one black man 'nigger' is still racism

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I wouldn't if I were you.

7. Just Adam

injury to one injury to all? this sounds like torchwood.....

i wouldent go to the powers that be itll get you no friends just say if you want me to prove im gay come here then lick your lips suggestivly maybe take a step forward... thatll shut them up... or atleasr stop them saying you aint gay

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure the guy is an ass, but you just want to get even. This isn't about homophobia this is about you settling the score.

9. fallendream

its the most popular girl in our year - me and my friends dislike her

10. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Why should you kick some one out just for making a dumb statement? It doesn't sound like it was homophobic at all and it seems like you're overreacting in a big way. And I highly doubt someone would get kicked out just for a tiny comment like that. Not that it doesn't impact you, but I think the kid needs to be talked to, not banned. I'm going to assume you live in America, because that's where I live. And we have this thing called Freedom of Speech, and he just exorcised that right. He didn't, as far as I can tell, mean any hatred toward your homosexuality but rather thinks you're just trying to garner attention. If you had crutches, I'm sure he would've said you're playing that up instead. He just think's you're trying to get attention is all. I don't think (assuming he's around your age) he understands homosexuality in the least.

What do you mean aimed at one? Yes, but it seems like you're misconstruing or overreacting. Unless more was said, this seems more like he was angry with you for trying to be an attention hog. You could always prove to him you're gay. Ask if he wants proof.

Calling someone a nigger and saying someone is being gay for attention is two totally different things with different tones and intent. If he called you a fag, gay-wad, or fudge-packer, that's an entirely different story. Lol But it doesn't sound like he did. :slight_smile:

Again though, it totally seems like an overreaction. If you say its an injury to all, and I don't think I've been injured at all. :wink:

Hopefully...you'll reconsider.

Place yourself in his shoes too.

Is it really fair to be banned over a silly comment? Have you called someone a name on accident? Sure you have. Would it be fair if you got banned? No, I don't think so. I've called many people worst things that stupid before, and I'm guessing you have too.

Please think of the consequences for that child too. Especially since it seems to be an uninformed statement, not a derogatory attack.

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

So what if she's the most popular? That makes no difference. By stating it like that, it makes it sound like you have a personal vendetta against her. It doesn't matter if you guys dislike her. You can report her actions, but to try and ban her is a little over the top. Even if your school is very homo-friendly, what she said was not derogatory but uninformed. :dry:

Maybe you should try to explain to her that it's not an act or anything?
    That might solve things. :thumbsup:

12. matty123

maybe she just hopes u are not gay lol?and why do u even care, if u don't like her, seems rather pointless even thinking about it tbh, only u know whether u r or not, it has f all to do with her! ^_^

13. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't have her kicked out, it's not worth that intense of a punishment. Besides, could she have been joking when she said it?

14. Aero

^this sounds pretty accurate to me.

I would go about it another way... she hasn't really broken any rules, so I'm guessing if you pursued it, it wouldn't even work out in your favour. If anything, you'll probably get a backlash from others who think you're over reacting.

15. Tiffany

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If none of you like her anyway, then just write her off as a bitch. It's definitely annoying, but I don't think you want to turn it into an "us versus them" type deal... that could create more tension then you really want. If she says something like, "you're gay so you just want attention," that's kind of homophobic, but "you're not gay you just want attention" is more ignorant than anything else. From the outside, it sounds like maybe she has some sexuality issues herself and is blowing it off, so she's accusing you of being a phony instead.

16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with everyone who'ssaid that going to the school authorities is over the top. Yeah, she made an uninformed comment, but that's not going to get her kicked out of school. If someone you felt neutral about rather than disliked made that comment, would you feel the same way and go to the same extreme? If you want to get back at her, just keep on living your life and prove her wrong - that type hates being wrong.

17. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't do it

If shes that popular than people are going to think bad things about gays. Straight guys are going to think "WTF that fag kick out shit stupid fag". Then everone going to be homophobic.

18. twixy30

one thing ive learned is that people are going to say thing that hurt to us but we have to be ducks and let those thing roll off our back. we can hide from them but we can just be who we are and thats what matters and in the long run, going after them just will hurt yiyu in the end cuz they may just not even do anything anyway

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just try to ignore it for now. When she starts making comments like "You're going to hell fag" then get teachers involved.

What you COULD do would maybe be to talk to your homeroom teacher or one of your coordinators about it, just let them know what she said and that it offended you, just so they know incase she starts spreading stuff about you or begins really bullying you. :slight_smile:

20. Lychee

I am going to re-iterate what everyone above has said and urge you not to do it. From the way you talk about the girl, it seems as if you would be happy for her to get expelled regardless of whether she did anything serious or not. Also, think about the repercussions of you getting her expelled - if she is indeed the most popular girl, and she gets expelled because of you, how do you think everyone else will treat you? Sure, they may not say anything to your face, but you're going to find it very hard to make any new friends.

Also, getting her expelled isn't good for you in the long run either, because it is not a very effective coping strategy. Running to your teachers every time someone hurts your feelings means that you don't learn how to get over things yourself. And what are you going to do once you leave high school? Or when you're just hanging out with friends and some random group of people insults you? You just need to learn how to deal with all the haters in life, by ignoring them and their comments.