1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting and Greeting.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jacks, Jul 17, 2009.

1. jacks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All right. So i came out. hard part done?

No.

I dont really know a lot of gay people. The gay "group" at my school already have their little clique and Im nice with them... its just that Im not really friends with them.

I need to meet more people somehow. Of course I came here, I'm looking up groups on facebook and all that but-

it is failing. horribly. So... I'm up for suggestions?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there a gay/lesbian center near you? In most bigger cities, there's a gay center and usually they have groups for teens, 20somethings, 30somethings etc that are basically social groups. Usually there's some activity (board games, discussions, etc) but it's also a great opportunity to meet and talk to other people like yourself.

If no gay center, check and see if there's a gay bookstore or a gay newsmonthly. If so, ask (or read) about groups or social activities for people around your age.

Unfortunately, in a lot of places, the choices are limited to 18-and-up nights at gay clubs (generally *not* the place to meet people you want to have a friendship or relationship with.) But you can always find good people, you just have to look a little harder.

You might also check your local college campuses, they usually have gay social groups of some sort, and you'd most likely be welcome there even if you're not a student there.