1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to let your true personality show?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always been hiding who I am (personality and orientation wise), and I do not even know where my true personality lies in. In online games I always gravitate to a certain personality (weird), and I am not sure if that is the real me, but that personality is usually the wild type (that one is not shown on here though), it’s more like in virtual world. I feel natural I guess when I am in the mode.

I do not even really have an identity except the one in my head, but I want to be the “real” me, which is a persona I am imagining and am in my head.

It is just hard to expose that side of me because the me in reality is just a hiding and worried about what I say and do, rather than just be me. I am just concealing who I am, and this really does not have anything to do with sexual orientation, but may root from that.

This was a weird thread I know lol.

#1 Jack2009, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Think to yourself and listen. Write down your thoughts and read them. It can open a door to letting yourself know how you handle certain thoughts, emotions or situations.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, start simple. What do you like? Get a paper and pen, or open WordPad or something, and just list a bunch of things you like. And - this is key - be brutally honest. Assume nobody's gonna see this page but you. Go all over the map. What makes you smile - internally, externally? What gives you a bit of a boost? List everything - foods, music, activities, interactions. Feel free to put the list away and add to it as you think of more things.

Next - and this is an ongoing process - allow yourself to like these things. Don't worry if they're weird...or even too "normal". If you like black-and-white movies from the 40s, start renting more. If you love blue Jello jigglers, start making them more. If you like drawing dinosaurs in the margins of your schoolbooks, or death metal, or reading medical textbooks, or wearing bright colors, or Hello Kitty stickers, or lacrosse, or playing Scrabble with your sister, go nuts. Don't worry if it doesn't "fit your persona" - because liking these things IS your persona. The sum of all these parts is what makes you unique - what makes you you. No, there aren't many cartoon-watching, word-game-playing, book-of-fact-reading, modern-rock-listening 40-year-olds out there. That's what makes me me. :slight_smile:

And here's the really weird thing. The second you give up. the second you say "You know what? Fuck being cool or fitting in. I'm just gonna like what I like"? That's the second you start being cool. Surreal, totally counter intuitive, but there it is. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off everyone is weird, most people are just better at hiding it, so don't feel so off kilter about it.

If you think outside the box then you have to accept who you are, and I know it is a lot harder then it sounds.

I'm a weirdo, I say off the wall stuff. For a long time people looked at me odd and treated me like the plague. But, as I got older and grew more comfortable in my skin, I guess I started to show confidence within that strange persona. People tend to gravitate toward me now.

Confidence is where it is all at, people can sniff it out just like fear. While people want to hurt fear, confidence is something people was to be around, probably because of all the insecurities people feel.

You don't have an age posted, but I'm guessing you're young, in High School maybe?
    Everyone, everyone, everyone feels like a freak 80% of the time, but like I said most people are good at hiding it.

And I think Lex hit the nail on the head, once you stop trying to be cool that is when you start being cool.

Send a message to me later if you need to talk, we odd balls gotta stick together.
    (!):thumbsup::eusa_danc

5. MyLife134

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    First off you aren't weird lol. I think about that stuff a lot when im tring to sleep lol. About who i really am, my purpose that kinda stuff. And for me i don't have a complete answer. One day when i was little i started drawing and painting and that always seemed to be who i was. That may sound weird but i felt like the painting/drawing was a part of me. Later on i started writing stories, poetry, and i noticed many of my characters had the same characteristics and personalities even though i tried to make them different. Lol so in a way it helped me answer who i really am. Maybe the same thing can work for you, or perhaps there is another way you find yourself! =)

6. Harve

I can't offer you any more advice than what has already been posted, but i find that i become so self conscious that i don't even know if i'm acting how i'm like inside :S. Even on forums i often type a post and then not post it in case it gets a bad reaction, even if forums are pretty much anonymous. Sometimes i decide not to think before i speak/react, but either i just can't do that, or regret it because i want to think before i act. Either way, it's not really solving a problem: you can still think before you act and be yourself.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You want to hear something weird? I really like the power rangers zeo song. I really like it.

Stronger then before! Go Zeo!
    Powered up for more!
    Go Zeo!

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>You want to hear something weird? I really like the power rangers zeo song.

I've got several songs by the Banana Splits in my iPod, the "hosts" of a rather bizarre Saturday morning kids show from the late 60s.

[​IMG]

I also have songs from the Wombles, the Archies, and even (yikes) one by "the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". :slight_smile:

Lex

9. Ben

Ben

I've had problems with things like this before. For me, it's because I change my tastes and opinions a lot. There is not a solid and definable personality in me, nor do I think there is in anyone else.

Just do what you want to do, and don't lie to yourself. We're all complex, so you might want to avoid trying to steer yourself towards a simple and stereotypical personality. Whenever I ask myself "Who is the real me?", I remind myself that I'm too complex to know myself.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No joke?!

From the "We're coming out of our shell tour" awsome.