1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend offered me a place to stay. The catch?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 19, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

It's halfway across the country in Saskatoon, SK.

I don't know if I wanna move that far away, though i know it might be easier to get a Job because I have a working knowledge of french, though if I remember the rental rates are higher...idk.

Another problem is I have a cat that may have to come with me, and im really worried about her, like if she takes the move badly, or if i dont take her what would happen. The last time something of this scale happened she started getting sores all over the place and lost a lot of fur from scratching and biting herself.

and if i do say yes, how do you prepare to move that far away from your home, your friends and your life?

What do you guys think?

2. Jekko

:O. You keep shocking me more and more. Where's SK? Poor kitty. I know you're going to need a hell of alot money that's forshure.

& is that friend as trustworthy?

3. MusicIsLife

xD yay, i'm shocking!

Let's put it this way: Vermont is directly above Montreal, where I live.

The province of Saskatchewan is right above/between north dakota and montana.

And yes shes trustworthy, we've been good friends for almost 5 years.

4. Jekko

oooh, i thought u said it was like in another continent like Russia.

If it's nearby then you can go in the train? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ooh, well then you go move with your friend :grin:. Just money money money.

5. MusicIsLife

o.o

its not what i would call 'nearby'. By car it would take at least 3 days to get there.

6. Markio

I thought SK was like for Slovakia.

Try looking online for the sort of jobs available there. Or maybe check out the LGBT resources in that area. Is Saskatoon a city, or near an urban environment?

7. MusicIsLife

From what my friend told me its a city.

I'm gonna talk to my boss tomorrow, and ask if theres a way of getting transferred, because my friend told me there's an Indigo store near to the apartment. If not, I'll look online for potential jobs, while saving money like mad.

By the way, does anyone know any super cheap way of transporting furniture to another province? I have to ship my bed and dresser, as well as several boxes of books :/

8. Astaroth

It will be something of a culture shock at first if you do move. I happen to live in Montana, but I've been to the eastern states. And I've been through Alberta, which is right next door. It's much more rural and small-town. So just make sure you aren't expecting more of the same when you get them. :slight_smile:

9. starbucksshoote

Oh for heaven's sake - you can look-up Saskatoon on the internet and discover that it is city - how were you thinking of moving somehwere when you didn't even know it was a city!

Saskatoon is a "government city" with a population of approximately 230,000 people in it's metro region.

Okay, now that we've gotten that out of the way, moving across the country for a place to stay is a major decision. Montreal (a city of approximately 3,600,000 people in it's metro region) would likely afford you a lot of employment and housing opportunities.

One thing to consider about Saskatoon is that it likely won't have nearly as large or well-established gay scene as Montreal, which may influence your thinking.

10. MusicIsLife

The gay scene in montreal does nothing for me, its 90% french, and since I'm english it's not that appealing to me. Added to that It's very unlikely that I'll get hired in montreal simply because I'm not perfectly bilingual. However in any other province my chances are better because i have a working knowledge of french, whereas most people may not.

This isn't set in stone yet but I'm seriously considering it.

11. acorn7

So, you're moving to Saskatoon for what exactly? Your friend? Moving out of your parents' house? Job opportunities? Sorry if I missed this but I didn't see THE reason.

If you feel comfortable doing it, it could be a great adventure. I understand what you mean about the gay scene here (I'm francophone so I don't care, but I still find it a bit lame). As for jobs, surely they don't care in the West Island if you're perfectly bilingual?

Anyway, it could be fun. Maybe you could try to go for a bit and see if you like it?

12. xequar

She's getting booted from her house if I recall correctly.

My thoughts: Go for it. You're young and not established in life, so why not go for it? At the very worst, you bank up some money and then move somewhere else.

13. MusicIsLife

That is correct, I'm getting the boot. Even before my mom officially said "you need to be out of here by the fall" I really wanted to get out of Quebec because of the french issues. The suggestion from my friend came up, and now I'm thinking "why not?"

And xequar, you're right, if saskatoon sucks, I'll save up and move on.

14. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cosidering the whole recession you guys are going through over there I'd avoid smaller cities like the plague because you'll probably not be able to find a job. If you can find somewhere in Montréal and must move somewhere, I'd try to stick to the major cities.

:slight_smile: My 2 cents worth (actually, we don't have single cents in Australia.. The lowest we've got is 5c, so my 5c worth I guess).

15. Jim1454

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new bed and dresser when you got there than ship them. As for the books, if there is no rush, I hear Greyhound has really great rates for shipping. You could try them.

If you know this person well, I suppose there isn't much risk. Especially if you can get a job lined up before you leave.

Personally, I think I'd find SK pretty dull. But Saskatoon would be the place to be if you were moving there. Sure... what have you got to lose?

16. xequar

It's Canada. That means that Saskatoon IS a major city...

I love Canada, but there are not a lot of large cities there. Aside from TO, Montreal, and Vancouver, most of the major Canadian cities are still really small by American standards. The bitch about the big cities like TO or Vancouver is that they're quite expensive... There's always Windsor. It's a sleepy little city, but it's directly across the river from Detroit, and it's probably pretty cheap to live there right now because they're hurting as bad as we are because of the auto industry...

17. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...And it has the highest unemployment in the country... yeah great place to move to and look for a job.

And across the river from another city with astronomically high unemployment...

18. acorn7

Oh, I see. Well if you want to get out of QC, Saskatoon seems far enough :wink: I'd say go for it then. Personnally if I moved somewhere else in Canada I'd go for Toronto or Vancouver (or Quebec City, since I'm francophone), but cities are expensive and if you don't have friends offering you places in those areas, try Saskatchewan!

Or you can crash at my place. (Just kidding :wink: )

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha sorry, I'm used to Australian standards. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: For us, the 5 main capital cities are where it's at in the country.

I'd still personally stay in Montreal.

20. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

You have to do what you have to do.