1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by achavaelah18, Jul 21, 2009.

1. achavaelah18

Is it normal to be bi/gay/pan and want to wear the opposite sex's clothing?

2. littledinosaurs

Well i don't know if it's normal, but if you are bi/pan you may tend to dislike gender roles/ genders in general and could feel compelled to break them.
    Or become what people call the third gender.
    So it's not that odd.
    And since you are female you can get away with it easily as well.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's normal for you, then it's normal. :slight_smile:

I've never actually wanted to wear women's clothing myself, but I always think how lame it is on Oscar night that the guys always wear tuxedos. Why hasn't anyone worn something different? Not necessarily women's clothing, but how about a colorful suit?

Lex

4. achavaelah18

Sorry to sound stupid, but what is the third gender? is that like... you combine both of the other two genders or something?

5. Greggers

I kinda feel like im "genderless bordering female" sometimes, ok thats a lie, 90% of the time. I often say things like "Hot Damn! I wish i had that dress...its so glittery..." or something along those things. I always think about wearing womens clothing, but i never do. The weird thing is i dont think of any clothing as for a "gender". I see a pretty dress, i want it. I see a pretty suit, i want it. Its all just clothing to me. I would be totally up for wearing womens clothing (i already have a pair of "unisex" jeans that are *really* just womens jeans).

...but thats all my personal thoughts. Alot of people would freak out at the thought of wearing womens/mens clothes. I also dont think its a bi/gay/pan thing to like this. LOTS of straight men and women cross dress. Its not all that uncommon. I think this urge comes from somewhere else...

6. JakeBHT

i am a transvestite and bi so it is not unheard of, whether one causes the other, i don't know.

7. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Help. What is the distinction, if any, between these terms describing sexuality, or expressions or identifications therewith, thereof, etc. blah blah blah .. .. .. I think I've got Straight and Gay down, sorta (Gay = anything not straight, yes?)

Bi
    Omni
    Pan

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

It's not "normal" in the sense that you see it a lot, but if it makes you happy go for it!

9. matty123

if it feels normal to you then go for it, you shouldn't allow yourself to get held back by others views

10. Markio

Sexual Orientation: defines what a person is attracted to, sexually. Gay, Straight, Lesbian, Bisexual, etc.

Gender Identity: defines what gender a person identifies as. Male, Female, Gender queer, Androgynous, Gender neutral, etc. "Transgender" is when someone identifies as a gender that does not match their biological parts. "Transsexual" is when someone has had, or is in the process of undergoing, surgery to have their body parts match their identity.

Gender Expression: the way in which people dress, speak or act; this is defined by our surroundings, like culture and societal norms. For example, wearing a skirt is a form of female expression, although culturally, a Scottish kilt would not be considered "female" clothing.

Some quick vocabulary:

Straight: attracted to the opposite sex.
    Gay: usually male, attracted to the same sex, usually male. Also used for any same-sex attraction, and also an umbrella term for anyone in the LGBT community.
    Lesbian: used to describe women who're attracted to the same sex, females.
    Bisexual: attracted to both sexes, at varying degrees. Have the capacity to love either sex.
    Transgender: someone who identifies as a gender that is not the same as their biological body parts indicate. Like someone who identifies as a boy, but has a vagina.
    Cisgender: someone who identifies as the gender that their genitalia specify. Like someone who identifies as a girl, and has a vagina.
    Intersex: Someone born with "ambiguous genitalia", both male and female genitalia to some degree. This term replaces the term "hermaphrodite".
    Queer: an umbrella term for anyone in the community. Originally derogatory, it has been taken back by the community, so there!
    Questioning: Someone who is unsure of their sexuality
    Ambisexual: same as bisexual, though more accurate/updated a term.
    Omnisexual: same as bisexual, though more accurate/updated a term.
    Pansexual: same as bisexual, though more accurate/updated a term.
    Asexual: someone who has no sexual desires toward either sex.
    Cross-dresser: Someone who dresses in clothes meant for the other gender. Replaces the term "transvestite".

Clearer?:thumbsup: Wearing clothes of the opposite gender is fine. Try it out. Cross-dressers can be gay or straight, too.

11. GhostDog

If it helps, my dad's a transvestite and he's straight. Eddie Izzard, who's a transvestite and a standup comedian, said that he still fancies girls. He calls himself a "male lesbian" as I recall.

I'm a queer chick, and I love love love wearing men's suits. Particularly Victorian-era stuff. =D I still like wearing women's clothing, but some men's clothing really excites me too.

So I don't thing wanting to wear clothing intended for the opposite gender actually has anything to do with your sexual orientation. People who are queer are probably more likely to follow those impulses, but I know enough straight crossdressers that do it anyway. Eh!

That said? Crossdressing is totally cool. =) Don't feel weird about it if you like it!

12. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    for what its worth .. .. ..

I have a brother who's all messed up. He used to borrow and steal my mom's and sister's underwear when we were kids. He's wear them in his room and make messes in the clothing like Bill Clinton did with Monica's infamous red dress. His behavior was treated as a family scandal. Think this taught him to hide, stuff, deny, repress, his feelings? He grew up completely angry and today is on meds, at least when he behaves himself. He's changed his name to julie, has gone under the needle for hormone therapy, and all but gone under the knife to complete the transition to a biological m2f tran. All the same, he's the most unhappy soul I know.

Case two is a close friend. Their boy used to like wearing dresses in his early years, say age 5 - 9, or so. His parents were completely cool with that. Now as an adult I guess all I can say it that he conforms to society's dress code for men, at least when I've seen him. He's doing quite well in school at uni and he seems at peace with where his life is.

These contrasting stories sure make me wonder what would have become of my brother had he not been shamed, ridiculed, etc. etc. etc. for his explorations. .. .. ..

My rule today is this: Go for it. clothes are clothes. They dont have sex. People do. Have fun. It is normal to want to experience life. Cheers.

#12 seadog, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  13. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say go for it if it makes you comfortable. I wear my fair share of guys' clothes, I feel comfortable in them - it doesn't mean I want to be a guy, it's just about what I like.

14. Jekko

It's not normal as in common but it's nothing wrong. My old gay friend had the balls to wear a mini skirt in high school twice. Kudos! You have the power, :grin:

15. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do it if it makes you happy.

But this has nothing to do with being bi, it's a different thing altogether.

16. twixy30

if it is what makes you happy then do it