1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering about The Job Corps

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pikachu1, Jul 21, 2009.

1. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anyone have any experience with the Jobs Corps? My mom says I should join them because it is a very good opportunity for me. I think it looks very good but I have never been away from home before. I am 22 and don't have a job and am really going nowhere at my community college which is why my mom suggested it. One thing that worries me though is that I am currently seeing an orthodontist cause I have braces. I see him once a month and don't know how joining the job corps would affect the appointments since his office is right next to where I live now and the job corp center is 30 mins away and I don't have a license to drive. Does anyone have any personal information about this I might need to know? I tried calling them but always seem to be on hold for half an hour.

Anyone who doesn't know what it is:
    It's only for people age 16-24.
    You get trained for free in any Field you want.
    They help find you a job in any way possible for up to 18 months after you graduate(includes finding housing, finding rides to work, etc...).
    You have to live at their training center(this is what bothers me)
    You can have up to 8 roommates
    It's a 1-2 year program(depending on what you wanna learn)
    They give you an allowance to buy food and clothing for work with
    They give an allowance for the training you do and the more advanced you get in it the higher the allowance.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I don't have any experience with the Job Corps but just by reading what you have said about them, I think it is a great opportunity.

Living 30 minutes or so away from your orthodontist should not be such a big deal. Even though you don't have a car, you could perhaps look into public transportation or perhaps even bike (if that's an option). Alternatively you could ask your orthodontist if he could refer you to another one, who might be closer to the Jobs Corps Centre.

Also, if this is going to be your first time away from home, yeah you will go through an adjustment phase, but once you get into a routine and start going through your training, it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, home is only 30 minutes away. Although you live at the training centre, you still will have opportunities to see your parents/family.

Give it some thought. Examine all the options that you do have. If you think that you can change something in your education which will allow you to move forward academically and gives you the feeling that you have a crack at a good job afterward, then go for that. But if you feel that college is not for you at the moment, maybe try the Jobs Corps. Maybe that will give you some motivation/impetus to move forward in other aspects (including academics) in your life. If I would find myself in a similar situation, I would take that opportunity.

I hope this helps a bit!

3. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my friend about it but he didn't seem interested. I told his mom(he lives with her) and she said it sounds good but she doesn't like the fact that they ask for your income. She doesn't see why they should need to know that. I was wondering though what the actual income requirement for Illinois. Does it go by me($0) or by whoever is providing for you? If it goes by my mom's income(she provides for me) than I don't know if I would qualify. I called Job Corps but they said to go to my local Illinois Job Center and ask them about it. I don't really have the time this week or next so I guess I gotta wait till the week after.:frowning2:

4. yeah i been wondering about this to.
    see i'm 17 and i'm not in school and i don't have a job, and this could really help me.