1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Support Group

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bevo, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Bevo

Hello all

I'm considering joining a Support group for LGBT and questioning youths organised through the local council, to help work it out and meet some others in the same situation. So I want to know more about what happens in them? who else has been involved in similar groups?

2. Jim1454

Well I've attended a couple of 'Gay Fathers of Toronto' meetings. They were good in that I didn't feel pressured to talk. I was welcomed warmly. We talked about things that were of interest to me...

Every group will be different. It doesn't hurt to check it out and see what it's about. Remember that the group exists to be helpful. So it's likely going to be a pretty friendly and supportive environment.

Good luck.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! To add to Jim's post above, depending on what kind of a support group it is, but generally support groups have some social events/gatherings and have opportunities to become involved. Some groups have regular social events, movie nights, meetings, and support sessions/opportunities to talk about things and to exchange experiences. For over a year now, I have been part of a LGBT support group which has actually provided me with a lot more support than I would have ever thought. Being part of the group and being active in it, has helped me in moving forward as well.

As Jim indicated, it doesn't hurt to check it out. In fact, I would only encourage you to do so. Try to attend a meeting or a social event (if the have one) and see how it is.

Hope this helps!

4. Alex19

ive never gone to one, but it sounds like a good idea if your confused about your sexuality.

5. EM68

I go to PFLAG every month. It was great. They were very supportive. EC is a great place but sometimes it is good to talk to people one on one. Just think you have nothing to loose and everything to gain!

6. Markio

I went to an LGBT resource center once with a friend, and once there the group sat together in a room and we would discuss a topic pertaining to our community. Our question was, "How does one in the LGBT community define losing one's 'virginity'?". We went off-topic after awhile, but it was nice to just talk to other gay people over some topic of mutual interest.

I say go for it!