1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out in a text message?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by treehugger09, Jul 26, 2009.

1. treehugger09

Ok so I have been thinking about coming out to my best friend of 12 years, as a lesbian, or at least as questioning, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. I'm afraid i'll chicken out if I try to do it in person, so I was thinking about texting her, but i'm not sure thats the kind of news anyone wants to find out via text message.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really helpfull right now. :slight_smile:

I just really need to tell someone, and after 3 years of contemplating, I think I'm ready.

2. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend via text message but that was mostly out of desperation because I knew I needed to tell him as soon as possible and couldn't find the opportunity to talk to him alone. I wouldn't recommend it, it was incredibly painful waiting for a reply

If you don't think you'll be able to tell your friend in person I'd recommend writing a letter. You'll get much more of a chance to say everything you want to say in a letter than you would in a text message

3. treehugger09

thanks for the reply, a letter does sound like a better idea, that way I can further explain what I need to say. Im not worried so much about her response, I know she will be supportive, but as I've never came out to anyone before, I wasn't of how to go about it. I like the letter idea and I think i'll give it a try.

Thanks again for the advice. :slight_smile:

4. Thisisnew

I came out to my brother through a text he had no idea that was coming I sent just the words "I'm gay" nothing else. I don't recommend doing it that way but I wanted to tell someone and a text was the fastest way I could think of doing it at the time.

Like Davo said I recommend letter. Good luck.

5. Markio

Plus texting goes on your phone bill. It's cheaper to tell someone in person (Or from a friend's house :wink:).

6. if i had a dime

I came out to a friend in a text message and he was cool and didnt care at all,we started a new conversation like a minute later.

7. treehugger09

Lol Markio, that is so true! I never thought about the financial cost of coming out in a text. :slight_smile: There's also the possibility of my parents finding the text, and I'm not ready for that yet. I'm really glad I had some people to talk to about this, you guys have been alot of help. I will see my friend on tuesday, and I think I am going to tell her in person, but I'm going to write a letter as a back up plan (in case I chicken out, or trip over my words.)

Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

8. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd tell them in person. I've gone through the coming-out-via-a-message and it isn't that great.

9. Pasalacqua

I told my sister in a text message. Long story short, my entire family found out that night.

10. BasketCase

I've told a brother and a friend via text and I have to say it wasnt all that bad, but, that's because I was pretty sure they would be fine with it before I even sent the text. It was nerve wracking though for a few minutes while I waited for a reply.

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does depend on the person you're planning to come out to - some people see texts as being so casual they're almost meaningless and either might not take you seriously, or feel weird about you telling them something important in such an impersonal way. Other people might be fine with it. If coming out in person isn't something you feel like you can handle, I agree with writing a letter - you can say so much more in a letter and can explain what's going on in your head as much as you feel you need to.