1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansexuality?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silentsound, Jul 26, 2009.

1. silentsound

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so mods feel free to move it if you feel it's in the wrong section...

I have been thinking about the way I see people from a sexual perspective recently. This has primarily been brought about by the fact that I now have a new boyfriend that I really like a lot. Until this boy came around I was quite certain I was gay, and yet even though we are now together in a heterosexual relationship that I am genuinely invested in, that hasn't really changed.

One thing I have figured out over the past year or so is that it takes me a long time to fall for someone. I have to get to know them first and develop a level of friendship. Then, once I start to fall, I fall fast. I would say I have totally fallen for two girls in my life. The first time was far worse and it ended up tearing me to shreds. The second was slightly less intense but I also stopped seeing her on a daily basis right as I was really getting myself into trouble, although it still hurt me considerably.

The thing that I have realized about both of these is that I crush on someone emotionally far before it becomes a physical attraction. I tend to be far more attracted to the personalities of girls, and I find the female form much more attractive physically. Yet I am discovering that I may in fact have the capacity to feel similarly about a boy with a good personality and who is just generally a really sweet guy, such as my boyfriend. So maybe I'm pansexual after all? For now I am just going with the flow. I have lots of time to figure it all out. However I was just wondering if anyone else feels this way or has had a similar experience? My understanding of pansexuality is that it is an attraction to emotion over physical form, but I am wondering if perhaps there is more to it I am missing?

2. littledinosaurs

Well from what you've said you've seem to explored your sexuality and are reaching what seems to be a very reasonable end.
    That is essentially the gist of pansexuality.

3. Jim1454

You could be right. At 15, I'd still try to avoid labeling yourself as anything.

4. JakeBHT

And there was me thinking pansexuality was to fall for animal vegetable or mineral! What I thought silentsound had described is bisexuality, no?

5. silentsound

my understanding is that bisexuality is having a complete physical/emotional attraction to both sexes, so physical attraction plays a greater role right off the bat. Pansexuality on the other had focuses more on the personality of a person. Like the way I am thinking right now: I find girls far more physically attractive, however I believe I have the capacity to harbor similar feelings for a boy because personality is more important and in time physical attraction becomes a function of emotional attraction. I am not saying that bisexuals only think about physical attraction or anything, but that is how I understand the difference. Anyone care to elaborate/ correct me?