1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for new Psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Swamp56, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya...

My psychiatrist had to google whether Seroquel came in 400mg tablets, and she has me in an insane dose of Lexapro (60mg) - the psychiatrist in the hospital was like, "WHY are you on such a high dose of Lexapro?". He told me had had never given that high of a dose to any patient (he's been a psychiatrist since 1967).

I think it's about time to change doctors.

2. Markio

Yeah, probably. If your doses are irregularly prescribed, then a change in dosage may help your mental status considerably.

3. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What does a high dose do to you?

4. xequar

High doses of anything usually have somewhat detrimental effects on the body after awhile.

And I would agree that it's worth considering a new psychiatrist. Just to play devil's advocate, using t3h google to quickly confirm something isn't necessarily a bad thing. BUT, given that you're on such a unique and questionable dose of your particular med, and that this person had to google something about another med, that does very logically suggest that they don't have a strong grasp on meds. I think you'd do well to start looking for a new doc.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um... I've thought for a while that you really needed at least a second, and maybe a third opinion about your treatment plan.

Psychiatrists on the whole, at least the dozen or so that I've come in contact with through people I've known or worked with, tend to be in a hurry, to overprescribe, and to not be very good at stopping and listening and really thinking hard about the best possible treatment options.

If I had another psychiatrist telling me that my dosages are way out of line, that alone would be enough to make me dump the first person and try someone new.