1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of jobs could I get with a fine arts degree?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

I'm seriously considering going back to art school.

I was in it about 3 years ago or so, and I really enjoyed it, but I thought I couldnt get anywhere with art so i dropped out and switched to media.

And now here I am, a school dropout with no idea where I'm going.

And all I remember is being happiest doing art, even though I was never the best artist. I just...wanna know if I'd be able to get a job after i finish it. I don't wanna be a starving artist in a literal sense.

help?

2. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    gaming industry

art gallery owner

artist for books

maybe graphic design for logos

medical book artist (need some medical degree for that) pays like 60k

thats about all i can think of

have you tried this website?
    http://www.careercruising.com/

3. Miles D

oh god, the first thing that popped into my head after I read the title was "none." :lol:

Well, you could teach art, or sell your art (at flea markets or be paid to paint on commission), and probably a million other things. Not to say that there are a million art-related jobs that pay. In this economy, you're lucky to get a job period.

But hey, the best thing is getting a job that you enjoy, and they it's never "work". You know? I'd say go for your dreams. Good luck!! :grin:

4. MusicIsLife

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

Thats my only concern to be honest, getting a job once school is out of the way.

5. GhostDog

I attached some poster I found via google, with some vague ideas. I have no idea if it'll be helpful at all!

For a lot of those, you might have to have a degree in addition to a Fine Arts degree (like if you go for a degree in, say, painting or sculpture - you may want to do additional training to apply those skills to something else).

I've toyed with the idea of working in art creation for the video game industry, because I'm a huge nerd and video games sure as hell aren't going anywhere. So that's what most of my research has gone into. But for educational programs like that, they prefer it if you go in with knowledge of traditional art first. They'll train you to do the digital stuff. (No idea where your interest lie, but I thought I'd throw that out there.)

You can make a living being a gallery artist or a freelancer. It's a pain in the ass, and you may need a day job in the meanwhile to feed yourself. Your paycheck will largely depend not just on whether or not you're good, but whether or not people like your work. But if you persevere, and you work your ass off, it's possible to go places. One of the artists I've been following (Ursula Vernon) has gone from not knowing if she could possibly pay the rent that month, to being an Actually Published children's book author/illustrator. It took her ten years to do it, but as she says, "It beats the hell outta flippin' burgers."

Also! If you're looking into an arts school, you could arrange a meeting with those school's counselors. You could ask them what applications a particular degree might be good for. =) They probably get asked that stuff all the time.

Attached Files:

6. MusicIsLife

My biggest interest is selling freelance style, or maybe trying to get a job with a record label to do art for CD covers, but im not gonna close my mind to everything else that's been recommended.

7. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the music industry is going down

plus photographers usually do the albums cover

8. xequar

There are some theoretical job categories in which one could theoretically get a job with a fine arts degree.

Theoretically.

In reality, the answer is most likely "None." My roommate actually has a fine arts degree (associates, I think). He changes oil at Wal-Mart and is going back to school to get his ASE certifications so he can be a licensed auto mechanic.

9. MusicIsLife

Not true.

Alex Pardee and Cam Rackam are two examples of artists who do paintings for bands' album covers.

10. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Pshaw. Don't think about jobs.
    The whole point of going to college/university is to avoid entering the real world for as long as possible. I know people doing Doctorates just to avoid finding meaningful work.

Do what you love. The rest will fall into place.
    (If you are really worried though, I would suggest establishing yourself as a freelance designer online. Set up a website with a portfolio and advertise the living crap out of yourself.)

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I said usually.

12. acorn7

Yep, I agree. You need to work too much in life to do something you hate. Things have a way of working out (if you work hard, of course). I almost didn't take arts in Cegep and only a year later, I realize how stupid it would've been to take anything other than what I like to do.

As for specific jobs... you can work in print graphic design & illustration, teaching (if you'd like that), etc. Honestly, I don't think you can realistically just paint and sell your work (as in, be the "artist stereotype"). But the possibilities are endless.

13. xequar

That's true. BUT, if you get a degree in something you love but you can't really get a job with it (why hello there Television Production degree), you'll still come to hate your job.

Absolutely do something you love, but if you can't pay the bills, you'll still hate your job.