1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on FB?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by olilevy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. olilevy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but it seems better than any other which I can think of. Do you think that I should change my "Interested In" on facebook to Men? At the moment it doesn't say anything, and I checked out my gay friends' profiles, and only a couple have put the truth - most haven't put anything. To be honest the vast majority (if not all) my fb friends are people I know IRL, and most of them know that I'm gay...I have no problem with people knowing, I'm just wondering if it's a good idea or not. Thoughts?

2. xequar

3. Elven

Meh leave it blank or if you want to be proud about it sure change it do as you like I doubt anyone will comment other than praise for coming out online

4. grapevine fires

I have mine set to interested in women, and a bunch of my LGBT friends have changed their "Interested In's" accordingly.

If you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. It took me a lot to come out over Facebook; I originally took down my "Interested In", then over last summer I decided to come out. Most people didn't care, or didn't say anything to me. So far, nothing bad has come of it either. It still depends on YOUR comfort level though. If you feel that your friends will respect you and not treat you any differently, then change it. :slight_smile:

5. Alex19

go for it. it looks like u got nothing to lose!

6. Halpert

Can't wee why not? It appears the people that matter already know. If its something you feel comfortable with of course!

7. thevre

I'd say why not as well. Mine is currently blank, only because there are some family relations I have friended that I don't feel comfortable coming out to yet. Unfortunately.

8. MouseofShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you really want people to know you're gay, tell them irl. I thought I could do it over facebook to avoid confronting people. Doesn't really work (not everyone sees it.)