1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out over the phone?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JayTeeNY12, Jul 21, 2007.

1. JayTeeNY12

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so today was my boyfriends graduation party that I was supposed to go to. I wrote him a long note that I was gonna give to him. It was about our relationship and then I came out as trans to him. However since I wasn't able to go because my mom didn't want a ticket for a missing mirror, I can't give it to him.

I never see him either. I think the next time I'll see him is Family Values Tour if his parents even let him go. And I won't wanna tell him there. I wanna tell him before so I can like bind or something when I go!

So my only other real option that I see is coming out over the phone to him. However is that the best way or should I just wait until the next time I see him and give him the note?

I really wanna just get it out of my system, I feel like I've been lying to him this whole time.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think it would be fine if you have no other option to seeing him.

3. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out to a boy I used to keep company with, over the phone. It didn't go over well. Come out to your boyfriend over the phone if there is no other alternative, or tell him after the Family Values meeting, maybe pull him aside after everyone is leaving.

4. xequar

Personally, I would use the phone only as an "Alternate Plan B" sort of thing. If you can't see him in person, I would consider some form of written communication first, preferably a genuine handwritten letter, but barring that, some electronic form, such as an email. The reason I say this is that in communication, there are certain expectations for response based upon the communication medium. Face to face is, of course, the gold standard, but barring that, a handwritten letter in today's society shows that you have put a degree of effort into the communication, showing that you are serious in intent and that you feel the person is worth the effort it takes to write a letter. Although there is no expectation of observable emotional response, the recipient can understand and reread your heartfelt words and draw upon them. From there, an email, although less personal, carries less expectation of response because there can be no audible tone or body language communicated via email (like with a letter). However, the level of effort is less, so it is less personal. Moving down the food chain, the instant message, in my opinion, is next. It allows for direct and instantaneous communication, but because there are no other emotional cues connected to it, the expectations are lessened because there is very little to pull out of context. The phone, in my own personal food chain, is at the bottom when it comes to serious matters. The reason I say this is because, although the communication is instantaneous and there is audible tone of voice associated with it, it lacks the direct contact of face to face communication, which causes a sort of disconnect between the expectation of response versus the deliverable amount of response. What I mean to say by that is when telling someone something of relative import over the phone, because it is instantaneous and one can hear voice, a negative reaction can hurt more because there is no body language there and a far lessened ability to conduct "damage control." In lieu of face to face contact, I prefer written communication because then there is a lessened expectation, and it allows for additional time to digest the information being presented.

Forgive me if that is a confusing blob of text. If you have any questions, please do ask! (*hug*)

5. davo-man

It made sense to me, dw...i agree with you xeguar about phone being fairly low on the "food chain" of communication....I think its cos you cant see their body language and they cant see yours....I guess this is the same with a letter or email, but at least then they have a chance to really think about their response before responding, whereas with a phone call it could get a bit awkward

6. JayTeeNY12

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot to mention >.< Which will make you puzzled is that he's never online because they don't have internet because they don't want him on the computer. He's psychotic and takes medication for it but they don't want him having access to violent things on the computer and such. So he only gets on instant messenger once in a while when he goes to the library but if I have the chance I'll take it.

His email is checked by his dad along with his myspace so basically he has no freedom almost. More than before. It's crazy.

I never was able to get his address either. So lame.

7. CrimsonThunder

If you don't mind can I ask you how you're transgendered? I really have no knowlege on the subject, did you get an operaction to make you a different sex?

I wouldn't say over the phone is a good idea. But if its all you can do theres nothing else to do. =[ If you're boyfriend loves you with all his heart he'll accept you.

8. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you are going through. You know, perhaps he would love to be with you whatever you look like on the outside. Have a look at how good it can be.
    maybe you can break it to him on a gradient. you know clothes these days can be so uni sex, especially street clothes. on a lighter side you can share clothes.

get him to give you some of his clothes to wear. go out a few times dressed similar. act like his mate for a bit, not his girlfriend.

when he goes to kiss you while you dressed as a guy, joke and say 'what do you think i am gay'. he might enjoy the game.

i dunno, perhaps it doesn't have to be a serious coming out to him, perhaps you can just ease into it and have the serious discussion later.

good luck.

9. JayTeeNY12

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transgender is someone who usually has not had SRS (sexual reassaignment surgery) and is just the opposite gender stuck inside the wrong body. Like I'm a male stuck inside a female's body yet I haven't had any SRS although I am planning on it later on in life.

Transsexuals are transgendered people who have or are going through SRS.

The funny thing is I wear all guys clothes pretty much besides sports bras and underwear (I wear boxers too) But maybe we should try that idea downboyup, although he's way taller than me and his clothes would be gigantic on me xDD It would be funny.

I know I'll feel much better when I tell him and if he decides to break up with me over it, it's his loss.

10. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good luck. love to hear how it all goes.

11. JayTeeNY12

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Problem solved. I didn't even tell him but he called me today and said that he didn't wanna be in a relationship with me anymore. He said the reason wasn't distance though and he seemed really depressed so I called him back and left a message.

But anyways that makes it easier on me a bit. -dances-
    I'm still gonna tell him the next time I See him.
    [I just pray to god he won't be in a coffin the next time I see him]

^^;;

12. CrimsonThunder

Cheers for explaining. =)

It's great that you're happy about a relationship ending, I bet he was surprised. XD And tell us what happens when you tell him. =P

13. JayTeeNY12

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update? Yes.
    Came out to him online. Had to explain things to him just like everyone else but he was fine with it. =D

14. Jim1454

Well that's cool! Good for you!

15. VballChick

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I came out over the phone to my sister 2 days ago...it was ok i guess. coming out is a hard thing to do but even harder in person ( for me atleast )