1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found an apartment, but i need some help...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 30, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

I found an apartment thats 380/month, but heating and hot water are not included but wireless internet is. I'm gonna phone the guy tomorrow to ask about checking it out, and its available for september.

What I wanna know is [usually] how much does heating and electricity cost? is it monthly? I feel like a fish out of water xD

thanks in advance everyone!

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't speak for Canada, but in America, heat and electricity are monthly charges. Many American places have electric heat, and thus simply get a bill for electrical each month.

As far as how much it'll be, that can vary wildly. Back in the day, I tended to just leave the windows open (even in winter!), and didn't turn the heat on. I also generally worked by the light of several strings of colored Christmas lights. I didn't do this to save money - I just liked it that way. But it ended up being extremely thrifty - my electric bills were as low as $15 or so. I think $40 would be a bit more normal for a small place like mine. Again, that's US - maybe Canada's a lot more or a lot less.

Lex

3. MusicIsLife

from what ive found its pretty varied, anywhere from 25 all the way to 200. I think i read its once every 2 months, but I could be wrong. I'm gonna ask the old tenant how much he paid, to get a general idea how much I'll have to pay.

Thanks lex! :]

4. Jekko

Hey you! I was wondering how you were doing :]

Canada is much better economically wise.
    An electricity bill here is like almost 100 bux here.
    Gas is like 30 bux

Of course it all depends on the person. 380 is sooo cheap! wowww.. for an apartment here is at least 750 :S

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Around here the electric is billed every 2 months. Without heat (eg: just a fridge, stove, television, computer and some lights) power is $60-$80 every 2 months.

Heat depends drastically on the size of the unit, where it's located (in the middle of a building or as a standalone building). Easily can cost $100 / month. You should budget for at least that much.

Saving energy is your friend. Especially learn to live with the thermostat set to 20 or lower, and set it to 15 or lower at night or when you're out. If you're in the middle of the building you can sometimes get away without having to turn heat on at all.

6. MusicIsLife

I just got off the phone with the owner of the building and he told me Electricity/heat is 20$/month in the summer and 35/month in the winter

o.o aka a helluva lot cheaper than i anticipated!

7. Jekko

:O
    I wish i lived in Canada.

8. Otsuke

That a goooood price :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

9. MusicIsLife

Im going in tomorrow to check the place out...here's hoping the apartment isn't a dump!

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    During the winter I leave the windows cracked to keep the electric bill down, but during the summer my electric bill is about $111 since I run the AC.