1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To People With Religious Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Beachboi92, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Beachboi92

http://www.gentleshepherdmcc.com/leviticus.htm

i found this and will be updating it with more information hopefully to help those with religious families deal with coming out. Education and information are key and if you go into things educated you will blow whoever away with information that will make them feel like a smuck. Anyone else please contribute more information of the subject, this page is very good to read through. :grin:

2. No One

Lol I would say i have religious parents, my dad is preacher so yea they are religious lol.

3. Beachboi92

http://www.soulforce.org/
    has some books you can buy to read up on the subject also like i said arm yourself with knowledge and refute the belief about homosexuality as a sin with more informed intelligence than anyone who would advocate such a terrible idea.

you can actually find that link and a few others in the EC resources page/tab at the top

#3 Beachboi92, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  4. No One

Are you religious or did you just decided to post this (thats a realquestion im interested)

5. Beachboi92

i decided to post this because i hate the idea of people having to deal with this problem without knowing the best way how and this is the best way i can think of :slight_smile:

6. Beachboi92

i have a few religious relatives but i have not had to deal with the issue of coming out to them and don't see it as a problem any time soon

7. No One

Hmm very thoughtful of you. That very thing is actually one of my biggest missions here on EC.

8. Beachboi92

I ask that please people contribute to this thread with information
    wether it is books, websites, or quotes that help people do deal with people who are religious when they are coming out. It is a very tough thing and affects the lives of many people facing the issue of coming out. Help arm others with information so that they can be prepared and confident when they face people who would call them sinners and tell them they are going to hell for something they did not choose. Please do not just visit and walk away find some info and post it up. Many people will appreciate it :slight_smile:
    thank you everyone (*hug*)

9. moirai

Thank you for this thread :slight_smile:
    I will add to it when I find something good :slight_smile:

10. Beachboi92

11. Beachboi92

thank you very much (*hug*)

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's talked about a bunch on EC, but anyone whose parent are religious MUST get them to watch "Prayers for Bobby", which can be purchased on itunes for $3. It is based on a true story about an uber-religious mother whose son committed suicide, and how she came to realize that her religious teachings were simply wrong.

That said, I also believe that the most blatant, obvious evidence, straight from the Bible, will not convince a religious person to change his or her beliefs. In most cases, people who have strong religious beliefs have not developed them by analysis and thought and questioning, but on blind faith, and the problem becomes when one starts to question ANY belief that is based on blind faith and trust rather than on analysis and questioning and consideration, it is much, much harder to change that belief, because for many, as soon as they start questioning any part of the belief, they realize that they don't have any basis on which to base the rest of the belief... and that is a frightening thought to most.

This is addressed somewhat in Prayers for Bobby, and even more so in the book by the same name.

I'm not in any way suggesting that collecting information isn't a good idea, only that the fundamental issue is less about using logic to convince someone of something, and more about encouraging them to think for themselves and come to their faith and belief based on their own experiences and questioning, rather than blindly... and that's a tall order for most people.

13. EvanBradleyHill

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I appreciate this thread as well. I recently found this forum and have already received a lot of support. I have a very religious family so I can definitely relate. That Youtube video from the West Wing is great! When I first saw that episode I was floored because I had never been taught any of that. I think that's when I first started to realize that maybe what I've been taught all of these years was wrong.

I've been doing a lot of research on this issue lately and came across a series of videos on Youtube that I found incredibly helpful. Search for "For the Bible Told Me So" on Youtube and you should come across it. It's in 9 parts but it's so worth watching. I was in tears watching it. Very informative.

14. Goethe

thank you so much for this thread! i haven't come out to my parents because of religion and hopefully with the knowledge i'll acquire with this thread, i will gather the courage to come out to them. if i ever find anything that can add some info on this thread i will add it immediately! again thank you so much! (*hug*)

15. Beachboi92

it is great to hear this thread is helpful to people, and i wish you all the best of luck with your religious parents/relatives as you come out. Thank you again for other contributors to the thread i will try and update with any new information as i find it and i encourage others to do the same.
    (*hug*)

16. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out the thread I started Gay vs God.
    Ah, the book of leviticus, would it be a bad idea to show up wear my polyester shirt, while eatting a blood steak and shrimp dinner, and having just shaved my beard?

They are all real sins, check 'em out.

17. 71390S

71390S Guest

This thread is awesome ^_^ My parents are religious, but not conservative religious or the fundie kind.

I know I pimp this book all the time, but the God Box by Alex Sanchez is really great reading for anyone (but esp teens) trying to come to terms with their sexuality and orientation. Pretty much every Bible verse supposedly about gays is debated in the book in a way that makes it easy to understand, but it isn't dumbed down.

Cathedral of hope is awesome too: http://www.cathedralofhope.com/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=225&srcid=305

And What the Bible really says about homosexuality by daniel helminiak.

Also, "Is it a choice? 300 of the most common questions about gay and lesbian people" by eric marcus is good. Not religious based and kind of no duh, but good for parents.

18. Alex19

that was pretty good- it actually made a lot of sence. my liking of the bible actually went up a little bit

19. impossibleornot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i agree with calchip, prayers for bobby is really good, i watched it even tho i don't have the religious parents issue, and it was really inspirational

#19 impossibleornot, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  20. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice job, banana pants!