1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

if my great aunt wasn't 90...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rachob1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. rachob1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ... I think I would have throttled her today.:angry::bang:

Sorry in advance but I need a rant to get this out of my system.

I went to visit my Aunt today, just to check in on her, as my parents are away and they normally go a couple of times a week just to make sure she's ok. So being the dutiful great niece that I am off I went. (I haven't been there since the end of Feb, the last time Mum and Dad where away. She said something then that I took offence to and I decided I was only going to go in future if I really have to)

The minute I walked in the door she started on me. I've had my haircut and some streaks put in it and I proudly wear some Pride jewellery that I got at the last one I went to. Well the first comment out of the sewer she calls her mouth was "do you really have to make it so bloody obvious, what would all the other people who live here think. Make sure you take them off before you leave." And as for my hair (which she has been nagging me to get cut for the last i don't know how long) "Just cos you "choose" to sleep with other women, dosn't mean you have to make yourself look like a boy." I just about managed to let it bounce clear over my head, it wasn't worth adding fuel to the fire and answering her back but then she drove me clean over the edge. she'd sat for a while in complete silence I could tell she was wording the next snipe in her head. I got up went and made us a drink and when I came back in the room she hit me with it, and by hit me with it I mean completely blind sided me, kidney punch, you know what I mean.

"If your grandmother knew how you'd turned out, she'd turn in her grave" Dumbstruck, a low blow of the ultimate kind, she knew if she used Nan against me she'd get under my skin and she did.

I don't know how I did it but I managed to put her cup of tea in front of her and calmly say to her, "actually Nan knew, and accepted me for who I am, she even met my ex girlfriend and was encouraging us to get back together. Besides she couldn't possibly turn in her grave, cos she ain't got one, we cremated her remember, but of course, you wouldn't you couldn't bring yourself to go to your own sisters funeral." put my jacket on and came home.

So I was sitting at home reading when there's a knock on the door, my uncle, she'd phone him and told him what had happened. I thought he'd come to have a go at me for shouting at her, but apparently he got so annoyed with her that he got in the car, and was coming to give her a right royal rollicking in person and stopped at our house to make sure I was ok.

She wonders why her great nieces and nephews don't visit her very often. I don't know but I guess it'll be another six months before she gets a visit from me.

Sorry again for the rant.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Family is as family does. You handled it precisely the right way (although it perhaps would've been better to skip over the part about her not attending her sister's funeral, but that's nitpicking). Always be the better person, and you'll never have to apologize for your behavior. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. MusicIsLife

Good job :slight_smile:

I think you handled it very well. much better than I would have had it been me in that situation.

4. Markio

When I read your response to her insults, I totally gasped and went, "Girrrl!" in my head! That was a very nice, precise and concise answer you gave her!:eusa_clap

5. PJ James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definatly handled that very well. With my temper it would have been messy

congrats on your self control there

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Sometimes older people are just plain miserable as is the case with your great aunt. You just have to ignore them ^___^ .

7. matty123

wow you acted with a lot of self-restraint, i don't know if i could have stayed that calm and civilized. But your uncle sounds cool, and as for your aunt, well you might have to deal with the fact that she will never be accepting of your sexuality, and that is her choice, which may not be fair to you, but that's life unfortunately

8. Possibly Maybe

Damn. I'm proud of you and I don't even know you.:eusa_clap

9. xXHolic

I so much LOVED the answer you gave your aunt..

it surely shows how mature you are, and damn girl, you did great!!! :eusa_clap