1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncomfortable with my friend's orientation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by PeaceLoveJoy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, my best friend has come out of the closet and has started going out with a girl, I don't hate lesbians, but I don't like my friend being a lesbian, I've known her all my life and it's just weird and I don't think she is lesbian but she says she is..:help:

2. Como

Como Guest

Even if you doubt her self-identity, I think it's only fair that you support her exploration and declaration of being lesbian. Even if it turns out that the realizes that she isn't a lesbian, maybe this period in her life was meant to help her self development.

I think all you can and should do is support her. Imagine how you would have felt if she reacted this way to you telling her you were gay. It would have probably been pretty upsetting.

Lol, and it seems that you might be jealous that she came out and you are no longer the only gay friend....

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long did it take you to come to terms with the fact that you were gay? Did you ever tell someone who found it hard to believe? You'd had a lot of time to get to understand and accept your sexuality, and people who hadn't had that time would be understandably surprised. I'd say it's the same sort of thing in your situation. The fact that she's gay doesn't make much sense to you right now, because it's not anything you've ever considered in the past, but she would have been thinking about it for a long time before coming out. And honestly, she'd know her orientation better than you do.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Accept and love your friend the way you always have.

5. Derek the Wolf

Exactly. Sexual orientation should never change how you look at someone :slight_smile:

6. Markio

Yeah, the only difference since she came out should be that now you're really sure you and her won't be dating anytime soon...

Put yourself in her shoes. Wouldn't you want your friends to stick by you after they find out you're gay?

7. PeaceLoveJoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys are right.

8. Jace

unless you're checkinnn em out
    lol
    :slight_smile:

ifyaknowwhatimean