1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about getting a tattoo

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HalfInsane, Aug 7, 2009.

1. HalfInsane

Two years ago, I went and made a tattoo design for myself. I still quite like it, although I might tweak it a bit. I've always wanted a tattoo (well, since I was five... I thought they're were the coolest things at that age lol). I'll be eighteen in four months, and sort of want one at that point. Thing is, I always hear how easy it is to get a tattoo you later regret.

The design I did is here (forgive the bad quality... the poor drawing has seen it's better days): http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/sheltiefan_2006/IMG_0002.jpg

It's a tribal-type style dolphin, since I've always loved tribal style tattoos, and dolphins are by far my favorite animal, and always have been. There's an assortment of reasons as to why but that'd make for a long list. I truly don't think it would be something I'd regret, however, I only know one person really well who has a tattoo. She's a good friend of mine, and I do trust her opinion... but, I designed her tattoo for her. She's had it for a while now and doesn't regret getting it (which is great- the artist did an excellent job and it looks just like my design), but because if that, her opinion is basically that anything I design will be good. So I'd like some other takes on it from less biased people.

Any thoughts/and or opinions from others (especially anyone with a tattoo) would be greatly appreciated.

P.S., if anyone is interested, the design I did for my friend is here: http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n2/sheltiefan_2006/tattoo0001.jpg

2. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

if you've had the design for two years and still like it you're probably not going to regret getting it as a tattoo.
    personally I think it's an awesome design and I would say go for it. :slight_smile: I would love to get a tattoo when I turn 18 but my parents would kill me.

3. Beachboi92

i'm not sure where you would put it but, maybe like on the shoulder. Anyways the design is really good. IF there is somethings till bothering you my guess is that you have a lot of shorter lines in the dolphin design and longer in the blue part. Maybe elongate or connect more lines in the dolphin? it would be worth taking a look at but like said above it is good as is. It definitely looks professional in design.

4. Koll

I regretted mine so bad >_>
    (wasn't legal, mind you)

Think about it, a lot, because it hurts more to get it removed then it does to get it done.

5. MusicIsLife

its pretty, and if you've wanted it for more than a year, i say go for it. if in x amount of years you decide that you dont like it, you can always get a coverup tattoo or laser it off :slight_smile:

6. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Ye go for it and if you really don't think you will regret it then there should be nothing stopping you getting it when you turn 18

7. silentsound

try drawing it one yourself (or a likeness of it) in the area you want it for a few weeks. Set it as the background on your computer. Use it as a bookmark, put it on the wall in your bedroom, tape a copy to your nightstand, on the steering wheel of your car, on the cover of your binders/ text books, on the inside of your locker (assuming you will be going to high school in the next month of course.) Put it everywhere you can think of where you would be forced to look at it all the time for upwards of a month. See if you get sick of it when you have to see it all the time. If you don't, then go for it!

8. HalfInsane

That's actually a really good idea, thanks. I'll definitely try that.

9. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I got my tattoo today! :grin:

Your design looks good, I kinda designed mine too but its kinda simple though, yeah you should get it :]

10. Il Divo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really want a tattoo, too!

I think it's really cool and that you've wanted it for so long so it will be something that you are going to continue to want. It all depends on placement, though.

11. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's really cute, not for me lol, maybe on the side of the belly button like curved in.

If you been liking it this long, yeah it's worth it now.

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

it's beautiful

13. WinterSnow

Out Status:
    All but family
    I suggest you buy a Henna or Indigo kit. they are amazing ways to stain the skin and preview a tattoo. It has helped me preview my tattoos and get opinions from others.

Henna stays on for about 3 weeks. Its a great way to have the tattoo as a preview that wont come off. [sadly you wont get the beautiful colors of your design] Having it on your skin for such a long period of time will give you the idea of whether or not youd want it forever. Unlike henna, indigo is painted on with a brush and stain the skin for a smaller period of time [like 5-8 days] and you can get the blues in your design!!!.

If you would like to read more about henna or indigo or purchase kits, these sites are truly trustworthy and very informative:

Henna information and procedure: http://www.hennapage.com/
    Indigo information and procedure: http://www.indigopage.com/
    Trustworthy shop to purchase both: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/

For this design, I recommend the Indigo.

14. mcpacker

mcpacker Guest

I say go for it. You are quite talented in the art department.

I have one tattoo I got back in 1998. It is a dragon on my upper left arm. The one downfall with it is that it was a design made by the tattoo shop I went to. I don't think it is very good compared to a self drawn design. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision. Based on what I just said you might think I regret it. I most certainly do not regret it though. So again I say go for it.

Have you decided where you would get it? Some areas can be more painful than others. The pain is not unbearable though so don't let that scare you off. In fact it is kinda fun and pleasurable in a way.