1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College!!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Prccgeek, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Prccgeek

Okay. so I came out to two more of my friends and we were having the post coming out discussion. it was a lovely convo. however, it came up in coversation that college would be a great time to explore and try dating men and women. that sounds wonderful! I have been looking forward to college as a clean slate were I can just be sort of open about my sexuality and not have to break this completely straight image I have been putting up through high school.

However, I am looking at Luther in Iwoa and st. olaf because they have amazing choirs. I have been dreaming of being in these choirs for years, have visited the campuses, gone to camps at the colleges. I am totally in love with these places, but I have no idea where the stand on the gay stuff; i think they are dry campuses (no alcohol) and are christian colleges (lutheran) and pretty straight laced

I am worried that these places will be worse to explore myself than in high school. Does anyone know how to find where colleges stand on the gay thing. if they are not too gay friendly, should I give up all my years of dreaming about these choirs and music programs. especially when I am still unsure if I am even gay or bi at all. :icon_sad: any advice would help.

2. Miles D

The website you have been looking for!!!
    http://www.campusclimateindex.org/
    :grin: :grin:

and I think that liberal arts colleges are just in general a better college experience. You want to have fun in college, and going to a dry & religious school equals no fun!!!

3. Prccgeek

thank you so much for the website. i will check it out!
    these are liberal arts places. they just are religious too
    and they might be about tho the gay thing; they must have some gay kids, my choirs sure have a lot at my high school
    And i know it is lame, but I actually sort of like the dry campus thing; not a huge fan of alcohol.
    thanks again!

4. Markio

You could also google the college name and "gay" and see if they have some sort of GSA. Or check their website for school rules. One of the colleges I got into was pretty Christian, and one of the rules forbade "homosexual activity". :frowning2:

5. Nodnarb

Actually, I was just talking to somebody the other day and they made it sound like Luther is a very liberal college (especially for a Lutheran school). And I know Decorah is a liberal town (just like every other city on the east side of Iowa), and should be pretty good as far as being accepting of gay people.

6. Prccgeek

I'm glad to here that Luther is pretty liberal. I like religion. I don't always agree with everyone on all the details of it, but I find it very interesting. I practically like at my church. (prcc in prccgeek, stands for park ridge community church.) I just don't want to be trapped on some small bible banging campus in the middle of corn fields with no escape.

7. epiphanies

I know you say you aren't into alcohol and don't mind the dry campus, but I go to a "dry" college (also religious and liberal arts, so very similar to the settings you mentioned). When I first entered college I was against drinking and didn't mind the rules. However, after being there a couple years and transitioning into an adult, I hated the idea that I was being restricted. I feel like I am being babied the entire time. I'm not big on partying or drinking, but the fact that someone tells me I can't and that I'm wrong if I want to really bugs me.

I would suggest looking at a few more colleges and not focusing only on the choirs. I know that is what you're interested in, but you need to make every part of the school fits you.

8. Meropspusillus

I'm on a "dry" campus. Though, that's only technically. In reality, the campus is "moist".

9. Gumtree

I think that no matter where you go you will find some "moisture".

Colleges may have religious staff or strict rules but in the end the students that attend are still hormone filled youth. I am 100% confident that no matter what college you want to attend, whether off campus or on; if you look hard enough, you will find a way to get "wet". :grin: