1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello College, Where are all the gays!?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by peaceLOVEandNYC, Aug 9, 2009.

1. peaceLOVEandNYC

so i'm heading off to college in a few days (going to a small school in Upstate NY but going to London for my first semester of college) and when i was accepted in January my excitement could not be contained!(!)

now dont get me wrong, i am still as excited as ever but when i was accepted i was not out. and now that i am out idk how the gay scene at my school will be...
    :eusa_doh:
    it's in the middle of nowhere basically and i think they have a Rainbow Alliance chapter but it's super small and i hear that last year a kid actually got harassed/jumped for being gay.

i am a very very masc. gay so people will not be able to tell that im gay unless i tell them but i planned on college being my time to explore and have fun and be gay just like i was meant to be and now, i can't help but to feel.........................SCARED!

please, anyone, help. :tears:

trev

2. Jennn

I found it's quite difficult to find other gay people without being very out yourself.
    Once you're out, I found that gay people start appearing everywhere, but if you're not, you'll really struggle.
    Perhaps you could start small- see if maybe, wearing a rainbow bracelet round your wrist gets any comments, see if you get any reaction to that.
    I wouldn't come out straight away, i'd try and work out what the general feeling towards gay people is before you do, and then decide (if it's negative) whether you can cope with it. And as for the Rainbow whatsisface- Join it once you feel able to let people know. It might be small, but that could be because there are loads of other people far too nervous to join it.
    Other than that... I don't think there's much else you can do. I wish you all the best!

3. fallendream

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rest asured everything you're feeling is normal. I freaked when I first left for college, but I wasn't out to anyone, not even myself, so you seem to be a step ahead of the game. You're going to have a blast, trust me.

5. peaceLOVEandNYC

thanks guys, i am out btw, its just that im not going around telling people, i just wait for it to come up...

and i plan on being fully out in college since i finally came out to my family a few months ago...

again, thanks all :grin:

6. Greggers

Well, join your rainbow chapter thing!!!

If i have one big regret from the past year, its not going to the pride netwrok at my school. Im in the same situation as you, im going to a VERY small university out in somewhat hick-ville (ok, total hick-ville) but they have a very small LGBT club.

I would not feel comfortable wearing a rainbow braclet (even though i could not possibly BE more out of the closet) just because many people are extremely homophobic and that would just be asking for trouble. So the only way i can meet other LGBT people is through this club.

But in the end, its going to take you actually going to the college for awhile (a few months, your first year) before you adjust. I would take your time. Worry about school first and foremost in the beginning and once your settled then you can move on to hunting down the gays :wink:

7. GoBabyGoGo

ill be going to a very small college next year. Theres a small gay social group there as well, but from what i gather, it is very small. But ill definitely join it.

Im not at all worried about being totally out... itll be easy to correct everybodys assumptions when i meet new people and the topic of relationships come up. (well, easier than coming out to an old friend youve known for years). Ill wear a rainbow wristband, whatever.

What im just concerned about is that the number of students at this uni is quite small. And the number of gays in any given population is also very small. So, im quite good at maths, and ive come to a conclusion that a small number x a small number = a very small number.

I might be lucky and find some gay guys that i really connect with, as friends or boyfriends... its just much more difficult than if i went to a city. Ive had absolutely zero love life all through high school, and i really really really want that to change in uni. i guess ill have about 5-10% of the potential partners that all of my straight friends will have to choose from. damn!

anyway, sorry for sorta hijacking the thread. Good luck at finding some gay guys at your college :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would encourage you to live YOUR life. There are no do overs.