1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guilt despite the fact I did the right thing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Starshine16, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Starshine16

I don't know how to get past the guilt that I have.

I just have felt guilty for breaking up with my gf.She is amazing,but I realized I didn't love her as much as she loved me.Staying with her wasn't fair to either of us.We were hopelessly in love and happy for months and then I started realizing that she was much more in love with me than I was in love with her.It took me several weeks to realize that I didn't love her as much as she loved me.I broke up with her and I hated doing that to her.She was heartbroken.

We are still friends but she still calls me babe and tells me she loves me when we talk.That drives the guilt further and then I feel even worse for breaking her heart the way I did.

This was a first same sex relationship for both of us.She is even newer at realizing her bisexuality than I am.

The guilt will fade right?

2. Metalbiguy

I live in Central, New Jeresy, by the shore
    Yes it will, i personally don't have any experience in this field, but i think its only natural, that the guilt will fade,

i mean its almost the same situation of putting your parents in a nursing home, you know its the right thing cause they can care for them better, but you feel guilty.

but as long as you know it was the right thing thats all that matters.

3. Markio

Yes. (*hug*)

I ended a friendship with a girl who I had a lot of fun with. We liked each other, but slowly I began to lose my own identity because she was very controlling and I was very submissive. I felt bad and guilty when I told her the truth, but that's how I felt when we were hanging out and I still wasn't making it clear how uncomfortable I was anyway.

It's not fair to either person when feelings aren't mutual. I think you did the right thing. Guilt will fade away as you both move on from the relationship.

4. Eleanor Rigby

I completly understand how you feel. We hear a lot about those whom heart has been broken but the feelings of the one who break up with his or her partner is not something that we hear about a lot and we tend to forget that leaving someone we used to have feelings for hurt too.
    I think that if the feelings were not mutual anymore, you did the right thing breaking up with your girlfriend. Of course she is suffering now, but it's better now than in several months. Hopefully she'll be able to move on and keep good memories of what you've shared for a while.
    It's a good thing that you could remain friend with her. I just think that right now, maybe you could put some more distance between you two. You can't be both the one who broke her heart and the one who'll comfort her about that. Stay benevolent with her, but don't be too present in her everyday life, live her some time to grieve. Once she'll be over you, you'll be able to be in her life again, as a friend.
    Don't blame yourself for brealing up with her. You can't force yourself to have love feelings for someone, even if this person is adorable. You have been honest with her and with yourself and it is all somebody could ask for in a relationship.

Take care, Eleanor