1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you deal with Religion? (for religious people)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jack2009, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a Catholic and I am starting to think to stay celibate for life (probably won't do it realistically) but I want to go to heaven and stay close to God.

How do you deal with religion? This is especially for people who are strong in whatever religion.

2. Beachboi92

3. techie01

I am a catholic too but I am more of a own practicing catholic. I keep the ideals of my faith true to me but I am also true to myself at the same time. Knowing that I am a good person is well enough for me and what the future holds, even I don't know but I know no matter the out come, I will be true to myself and true to my faith! Keep in there and look within yourself and you'll find your faith :slight_smile:

4. 71390S

71390S Guest

I never had any issues being religious and gay. God (when I believed in god) made me gay, and christianity was a great source of strength to help me come out. It truly blows my mind how religion is used against glbt people and is pretty upsetting to me to watch. All these "fundamentalists" have no problem taking supposed scripture against gays as literal,but when it comes to whacko scripture that could affect THEIR lives directly they say we have to take the scripture in their cultural context. Well, wtf about the 'gay' scriptures?!

sorry for the random vent ~.~

5. 71390S

71390S Guest

Also, there are many churches and religious people/institutions who accept homo/bisexuality the same as heterosexuality.

6. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

I don't let others' incorrect views on religion and homosexuality deter my love for the Lord and His love for me. And I never will.

God loves us ALL! White, Black, Christian, Jew, Muslim, atheist, straight, gay, girl, boy, do I have to go on?

I found my OWN relationship with God and I LOVE IT! That's how I "deal" with religion and homosexuality. That and I follow the words or Christ and Christ NEVER said anything about hating homosexuals...heck, he never said anything about hating anyone. Why? BECAUSE CHRIST PREACHED 'LOVE ALL'!!! I WILL DO IT UNTIL MY DYING BREATH! Why some "religious" people don't figure that out I'll never know!

7. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The way I like to think about it is that if "God" made you, then he made you gay. I was always told in CCD and in church that "god loves everyone". That's why I don't see what's up with being gay in the Catholic religion is "God makes you" and he "loves everyone".

8. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

He* capitalized.

9. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Just for the record so no one thinks I'm a prick LOL I corrected myself when I wrote "He* capitalized" as in when I wrote about Jesus I wrote "he" when it should be "He" LOL. I wasn't correcting anyone but myself LOL

10. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now I'm not Catholic, but I have never had any difficulty with being gay and religious, at least not yet. I believe that God loves us all and he obviously made me this way for a reason, even if I have no idea why the heck he did. I have always considered myself to be a pretty religious person, and that didn't change when I came out to myself, in fact I feel closer to god now that I have accepted the fact that I'm gay. Being gay doesn't mean you can't still love god, it also doesn't mean that you'll burn in hell forever.

When I was growing up I was never told by anyone in church that being gay was a bad thing, in fact the only people that did were those who never attended church at all. But those people had little to no effect on me anyways.

11. Gurds101

The first person I came out to was my minister. I was scared about her reaction, but she couldn't have been any nicer. She talked about how God was love, and whether you love a man or a woman it doesn't matter. She spoke about being ashamed to be a part of an organization that has caused pain for so many people. She was excited for me!! :slight_smile:
    I have come to the conclusion that God wouldn't make people this way, if he didn't love us. He wants us all just to love!

12. nevermore

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gurds, I'm happy you had such a positive experience.

When I was at school I was tipped to be heading for priesthood. Everyone thought so, even our cardinal. Then I started getting my homosexual feelings and when I tried to bring it up in an indirect way, not saying directly it was me experiencing it, I was given the hell, fire and brimstone speech. Suddenly I felt as though I was a sinner, one sin which I could never find redemption from and I seriously thought I would go to hell and because it was a Roman Catholic school; topics of homosexuality were either excluded or it was taught how morally wrong it was. If there were a god, I thought, then it hated me. Over the subsequent years I lost my faith in religion and god. I definitely had my "existential crisis" and have come out of the other end stronger and happier in myself.

Now I would describe myself as an atheist, humanist and existentialist. Having thought about what the original poster was asking; I dealt with my religion agonised, feeling alone and ending up hating god through to abandoning faith altogether. If what is important to you is faith, then do not let religion stand in your way. That is how my boyfriend copes with it as he believes in god without any need for religion as he believes his relationship and connection with god is far more personal.

13. twixy30

this is so true ive been going to a church for over a month and it is a church with many many glbt people and we are shown love everyday i think more then any other church ive ever been to in my life.

14. Greggers

Well i live and grew up in a small town. Even though its very small, i can walk to SEVEN different churches in 20 minutes. Of those 7, they are all evangelical of nature other than one. They all preach against homosexuality im sure. The ones i have been to all have.

Because of this its been really hard for me to accept both my Christianity and my Homosexuality. For awhile i thought it was one or the other, but no thats just not true anymore. My beliefs are this: As a Chrisitan i am (by the definition of the word) "Christ Like". This means i should live my life like that of Jesus. In the bible Jesus does not once touch on Homosexuality, but he does talk about never giving in to those who oppress you, help those in need, the poor who give little are more than the rich who give alot, love your enemies, do not judge others, and the list can go on and on and on. Basically, if you go into the bible and read just the "red letters" (those of jesus) you will find not what you generally think of as "religion". You will find a role model to TRY and live you life after. Of course, we cannot come close to his example because we are all human, but guess what? That is OK. Its normal to sin. When you do, your forgiven. The thing that really counts in the end is the fact you honestly try and be a better person.

That is basically what ive learned about my faith. I dont have to go to church, i dont have to scream "repent" from the roof tops, all i have to do is try and be like my role model and set a good example for others. Will this get me to heaven? Honestly, thats not what its about for me. The "kingdom of heaven" is now. Im not waiting on this god-forsaken planet for my time to run out so i can grow wings, a halo and a harp. Im just trying to make my time on earth mean something more. I want to be known as a good soul. If i go to heaven after that would be GREAT! But hey, if its all a lie (even though i personally know its not) did i hurt anyone by believing in it? No. I helped by believing in it.

15. Rygirl

This might help you and it might not, as a lot of people on this site know I follow the teachings of Witchcraft, not as some sort of vendetta against the church and not because I hate Christianity, but because it just felt right at the time. I made that choice a long time ago, before I came out, so it wasn't just about finding a place where I could avoid the snide comments and abuse.
    However it is a very freeing religion, there is no word written down for everyone to follow, in fact there is no word written at all, it is orally passed down. In this case I am aloud to follow what I believe and be who I am.

As for the issue of Christianity, you could find an interpretation of your religion which allows you to be who you are, as Greg has. I'm sure if you believe in something strongly enough, you'll be able to make it work.

Hang in there, you'll be fine.

16. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    I'm mormon and as you all know we are totally open accepting people that love's gay's...not

I have never been obessionaly religious i believe in god or a higher power but i believe god love's all people gay straight bisexual etc....I consider hating to be a sin and we are all equal in god's eye's and if god created love then he created homosexual love aswell

17. Goethe

this describes me as well. i know i am a good person which is what God wants of me and at the same time i'm myself knowing that God made me this way and that He loves me for who i am. i just wish my parents felt the same way. they preach the Bible and yet they themselves have never read it. i just kind of ignore that though because i know God made me this way and there is nothing wrong with me so i'm just myself.

18. endless poetry

well... ... my dealings with church are not over yet; I have yet to come out to them, but the general acceptance level is low, many mild homophobic comments like... they shouldn`t be allowed to marry, I wouldn`t do it... no really bothering the public by protesting or lobbying or hardcore bashing, and no teachings (that I remember of) specifically against homosexuality or transexuality or bisexuality etc yet... but their website says the group is against gay marriage and you get the point.

But I do not see myself leaving God though; I do feel and enjoy God`s presence may he love me or hate me. I do see some resistance of a gay/bi/whatever man sitting in my church`s midst but they do what they want to do, I will keep calling upon the name that brings me such peace. Sure, call it meditation, call it a calming procedure whatever I`m keeping my faith and my sexuality - every last bit of both - intact.

19. 71390S

71390S Guest

Another cultural mormon! I was raised mormon too, only my parents are weird mormons and don't hate homosexuality.

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

That's awesome ^_^. After I came out my LDS community was like "he can be gay and come to church, but he can't act on his gay feelings," so now my family and I go to an accepting episcopal church.