1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

introuducing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hoping, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hoping

i want to introducing this guy i really like to my family , starting with my mum but im not sure how i should do it. a possible obsitcle is hes 10 years older. so any ideas guy and girls

2. xequar

Question-are you out to the family? If not, you might want to consider coming out to them before you introduce a new friend to them. Coming out to your parents by bringing home someone ten years older than you, given that your profile indicates that you're 18, seems like it would be one hell of a shock to them and doesn't seem like it would end well.

If you are out, that changes everything. At that point, surely you should introduce him to the family. At the very least, it will serve as reinforcement, and at the very most, they will be totally accepting of him and treat him like part of the family. Reality usually lies somewhere in the middle, but you get the drift, I'm sure.

Best of luck!

3. CrimsonThunder

Heya Hopping. You don't need to instroduce your friend like this:

"This is John, and hes 28 years old".

His age could be irrelevant unless your parents ask him. He may look youthful so you could get away with it. =P

If you do introduce him, please inform us. :wink:

4. downboyup

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    when i was 16 i had my 25 yr old boyfriend over for a family dinner. I was only 'out' to my sister. i come from very big family of brothers and sisters and spouses and kids. as far as they were concerned he was a 'mate'.

at one point my elderly grandmother innocently asks - and what does your boyfriend do
    for a living?

you could have heard a pin drop, my sister laughed and I went a very strong beetroot colour.....
    it was very funny.

I guess it depends on whether you want to introduce him as a lover or as a friend.
    parents are very protective of their children. they want the best for them from their knowledge of what they think is best. do understand that any concern they have will probably be from this point of view. they have cared for you, now someone else is going to do that. he is older, is he taking advantage of you? etc etc.

if you want to inroduce him then i guess you are fairly settled with this guy and comfortable. they will then see this and there will be less worries.

if a bit tense, an ice breaker can be the game that the family likes playing the most. in my family it is card games and also scrabble.

5. CrimsonThunder

OMFG that is so hilarious! Little did she know. :wink:

6. xequar

This is yet another reason to never discount old people! They might be scary as hell behind the wheel of a car, but damn, you can't put anything past them! :icon_bigg :eek:

For our OP, even if you don't directly state his age, even if he looks young, a ten year age difference will be noticeable, and I think downboyup was dead on the money with the likely parental thought process. Personally, I genuinely hope that you do get to introduce him to your parents, but I think you need to be smart about how you do it.