1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how shall i do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by diegon3, Aug 14, 2009.

1. diegon3

ok so i have only a week before i leave for college and since i'm going far i had made a promise to myself that i would come out to my immediate family. I originally said i would come out to my brother before i graduated high school but it wasn't till little over a month ago that told him. the only person out of the loop is my dad who has the attitude and temper of someone that's bipolar so it would be hard to tell him face to face so would it seem fine if i tell him through a letter that i would leave him the day i leave?:confused:

2. Starshine16

In certain cases a letter is better than spoken words.Writing a letter and then leaving it somewhere that you know your dad will find it sounds good to me.Doing it on the day you leave will allow your father time to digest it without feeling he has to talk to you about it right away.He can think about how he feels about it/or questions he wants to ask you and then he can call/email or write you a letter once he has had time to digest it.

3. Greggers

Do your mother and father still have a good relationship? If they do, i suggest getting your mother to tell him. If she is ok with it herself that is.\

There is NOTHING wrong with delegating some outing :slight_smile: My mother told my father, my sister told my brother in law, my sister in law told my bother, my asshole gossipy friend told everyone. (Ok, avoid the last one, but up till then...)

If you know its going to be hard to find the words to tell him or your afraid of his inital reaction then that is just one option. You can write a letter, you can phone him from college, you can leave him clues or drop obvious hints.

Whatever you do, good luck (*hug*) Remember you are already out to quite a few people, so use them as support if you ever need it.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I think you have a good head on your shoulders; leaving the note sounds like it could be the right move.