1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Unsafe Situation

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Dare2bProud

So tonight I was putting my groceries in my car when this lady approached me asking me what time it was, so I told her what time it was and she told me she was in a hurry to get to the bus station because her father passed away and she needs to get to Florida for the funeral tomorrow. She told me that she needed to go to her church to see if someone was there to help her with the money. So she jumped in the passenger seat of my car and asked me to drive her there. So I drove her to the church and she asked if there was no one there if I could find it in my heart to help her out, all she needs is forty-four more dollars. I told her all I had was $20 and she asked if I would stop somewhere to get more, I told her I didn't have my check card with me. She told me that I told her that I would and I said, "Mam, I told you I would help you out with what I have in my wallet and that's $20." She made me drive her to her apartment and than told me to drive her to her friends apartment because her friend would be there to take her to the bus station. So I gave her the $20 that I had at her friends apartment complex and she than got out of my car and walked silently away. Phew! That was a nervous racking situation, I didn't know what would happen. I was very calm and cool but very nervous. She kept crying and told me that she doesn't know how she's going to get there and that if I could find it in my heart to give her what she needs. Ugh! I'm safe and sound. A little rattled. I don't believe there's any repercussions except for being out of $20. I hope that I did God's work tonight, if not, God was on my side. Anyone else ever been in a situation like this? How did you handle it? If not, how would you have handled this? :eusa_doh:

2. DexterMorgan

Are you sure she didn't stiff you?

3. Dare2bProud

Stiff me? Well, yeah, she got my money didn't she? Whether or not she used it for the grey hound ticket ... that I don't know or at this point care. I'm safe and just know better next time.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was nice of you to do that, and given the way the communication started, I'm more inclined to think it was a scam (start with the time, which is innocent, and then move in for the pitch about money.) But either way, you got away unharmed, and $20 is probably a pretty cheap lesson... I would NEVER let a strange person in my car, and if they jumped in, I would probably insist they get out or call the police or something.

Living in the bay area, there were a ton of homeless people, with a bazillion scams, and when first moved there, I did my best to help, but the scams were so elaborate, I just got to the point I'd avoid them entirely. If someone said "Can I ask you a question" I'd respond with "No, sorry." If someone said "Do you have the time" I'd be "sorry, no watch." It sucks, but my experience is, these guys are masterful at trying to suck you in and if you respond in ANY way, you either have to listen to a pitch, or be rude, so might as well be rude up front.