1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate Being In The Closet

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by drake86, Aug 16, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The urge to come out is getting stronger and stronger. I recently moved to a new city, houston, for a job and have met a ton of new people. They all seem open minded and fairly liberal. Coming out terrifies me because I have lived my entire life as a straight man. That is all people know. Some have wondered about my sexuality, in fact last night a friend said "will you ever hook up with a girl when your drunk". We were at a bar talking about a girl who likes me. She ended up coming back to our place with some friends and sleeping in my bed, nothing happened. I have lived a life of a straight man and it is scary that coming out will change all of that. Will people treat me different? I am a confident individual who has always been fairly liked by others I dont want me being gay to change how people view and treat me. Has anyone comeout after college? What did your friends think? I was president of my fraternity so its going to be like coming out to 70+ people...

2. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think if you come out it is inevitable that SOME people will treat you different. Sorry but its jus the fact that there are ignorant people out there. Umm I came out immediately after High school and yea some people did not take to it well but I think the majority are ok with it. Your good friends will always stick by you. If I were you Id come out cus of the new location. Dude you will LOVE knowing your out finally and no longer living a lie. Go for it man. Tell your new friends all about your gayness lol

Fox

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Some will, but the people who should matter most in your life will except and embrace you. Coming out is initially difficult, but worth it and becomes so much easier and eventually you won't need to come out to anyone, you will simply be living an honest and open life.

Best of luck.

4. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    Truthfully yes some people will treat you different and your bound to run into the odd homophobe but your true friends and the people that matter will still love you and treat you equally

5. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is me putting my hand on your shoulder. (*hug*)
    I was in that same boat too. Nothing about me really screamed "gay" so I lived life as a straight guy.

The fact that you want to come out, and you say the urge is getting stronger, tells me your confidence in yourself is getting stronger.

I'm not going to lie to you and say nothing will change with your friends when you come out. Some might react badly, but most will probably be cool with it. The ones that act badly...well were they true friends or just fair weather friends?

I was utterly freaked about coming out. Everyone I knew had no idea I was gay, my advice: start with one or two trusted friends and work your way from there.

Remeber being gay doesn't change who you are, this just means your gay as well.:thumbsup:
    Don't EVER let anyone tell you anything different.

Good Luck out there! :smilewave

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just as an added thought. A wise person, on this site in fact, once said. If I asked your friends what they like about Drake none would say I like the fact that he is straight.

7. xequar

OK, let's make a quick clarification. You've lived a life that makes people think one is straight, with one little lie added into the mix. You haven't lived the life of a "straight" person or the life of a "gay" person. You've lived a life that has certain characteristics, and you've added a lie that matches those characteristics to misdirect people in regards to your orientation.

So what changes when you come out? Simultaneously everything and nothing.

Everything changes because suddenly, there's not that pressure to act straight. So, if you are presently "interested" in certain things (like sports, for example) only because they help you look straight, if you're out, that pressure goes away. Nothing changes because you are still YOU after you come out. You're still you, the person that was president of the fraternity and that has a certain set of interests.

I was 25 when I came out, and I had been out of college for several years. When I came out, everything changed. I felt far less compelled to give a damn about sports (I'm not a sports fan, but I tried so I'd look more straight). I shaved my porkchop sideburns. I stopped feeling like I had to be macho and manly. However, when I came out, NOTHING changed. I was still Al, the person that founded the Lobby Games Association, enjoys playing DDR, and occasionally runs and plays in tabletop RPGs.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I have lived a life of a straight man and it is scary that coming out will change all of that.

As X said above, nothing will change. You'll still eat the same breakfast cereal, and watch the same shows, and hang out with the same people (almost certainly). The only difference will be that you'll be able to think about guys without having this weight on you, wondering what people might think. And living without the weight is amazing. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't I tell ya he was smart