1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent Help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Danielle, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Danielle

Danielle Guest

I have got myself into a really bad spot.

This year is the year that I am supposed to be going for my school certificate and usually I am a great student but this year the wheels have fallen off completely, I simply can't focus at school let alone try to do homework independently, I haven't done much work all year and I seemed to go away with it until today as my science teacher went to see my dad (who works at my school) and he told him how I didn't do my assessment task which made my dad ring me up and asked me I could do it tonight and like an idiot I said yes when I don't have a clue what it is about (thank christ my history and drama teachers don't care enough to see my dad otherwise I would be even more hugely screwed)

Secondly my depression has gotten worse and I know that it won't be getting better anytime soon so I really just want to leave where I am now because staying here is one of the big factors in my depression.

I have no idea what I should do.

2. Lacan

disclaimer: not any sort of licensed professional

but 1) school is what it is. sounds like your relationship with your parents is complicated. if they're open and accepting, talking to them about the place where you're at might not hurt. if they're not, then talk to a mentor? a drama teacher perhaps? someone at school you're close to, if an adult great, if a close friend fine.

2) depression sucks. anyone who's been through it or is mired in it can attest to that. thankfully there are always people to talk to -- if you have a therapist, be honest with him/her about what is troubling you. if not, consider finding one. depression isn't something that has to be borne stoically -- seek out a mental health professional and be honest with her/him. Many of us have been through depression and understand how it works, please contact any administrator or licensed health professional with your concerns. Bottom line? We're all here to help.

We're here for you!

But if it's really really urgent, then call a hotline http://hopeline.com/

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! The worsening of your depression might have something to do with your school performance and the fact that you have trouble to concentrate on your school work. I think it would be good if you could try seeing a counselor at your school. The sessions and whatever you reveal to the counselor is confidential, so you don't have to worry about your dad finding out. Maybe give that a go.

For your school work, maybe try doing small chunks of work at a time so to get some of your motivation and concentration back. Both are interrelated. Maybe by an agenda, or on a separate piece of paper write down all the due dates for your assignments, tests, etc... Then prioritize by looking at what needs to be completed sooner and what will take more time to complete. But also, leave enough time for breaks in between your studies as well as time for yourself. The other thing you could try is perhaps working together with a friend on homework or other school work. Sometimes, studying with friends and completing assignments together, can help in getting some motivation to keep working on things and getting the energy back to work on things.

Hope this helps!

4. Jim1454

Try to be as honest as you can with your parents. Let them know that you've feeling very depressed, and that you want help. If you have them on your side, it will be easier to work things out with your teacher - in terms of getting extensions or what ever. Remember, everyone really just wants to help you. That's why they are parents or teachers. But you need to tell them how.

Ask them if you can see a cousellor. Talking things out with someone who isn't biased in any way helps a lot! I loved it. I think everyone should have one.

Good luck!