1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me and my friend are thinking of starting an LGBT group for teens. Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Aug 18, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

So I have a friend, his name is Paul and he and I became friends when he worked at Chapters with me, and we both helped the other come out in some ways.

He quit recently to go back home and help his dad take care of his handicapped brother, and during pride he told me that he had spoken to one of the managers, Craig, who everyone knew was gay without him ever having to say it.

Long story short, they loosely discussed starting an LGBT group for teens on the West Island, where we live. We know about Project 10, which is the Montreal LGBT centre for teens, but its in Westmount, and its just not practical to head out that way for the meetings, too far.

So he and I talked at pride about starting one of our own on the west island, with the help of Craig.

The thing thats worrying me is that I'm not sure where we should start, and I really want to do this. But my worry is that I won't be able to feed myself if I work for a nonprofit.

Does anyone have any advice?

2. Jim1454

I'd say your first stop would be the existing support group / center in Montreal. Talk to someone about the history there. How did they get started? How do they operate. I'm sure you'll find that they too had a modest beginning and have grown to what they are over the years.

Perhaps you could launch some kind of 'satellite' group that would draw on resources from the central location but run meetings or organize events locally.

This wouldn't be your job. This would be your passion. You'd still need a job to feed yourself.

3. littledinosaurs

The best thing you can do is try to get a location first and also think about what he mission for you specific group would be.
    When we started our group here we made a deal with a UU church and got the space for 6 months rent free.
    Also definitely talk to the Montreal Centre, they may be willing to fund you and help you get on your feet. I know we were lucky since there already is a network of LGBT groups here that we were able to dip into.