1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paralyzed by fear

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mcpacker, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mcpacker

mcpacker Guest

I am aware that I am gay even though I deny it on a daily basis. I have been testing the waters to see how people will react to this. It seems that coming out would be a very bad idea. No one suspects that I am gay. I have suppressed every gay thought or desire since I was quite young. Actually there were times in my life that I acted on those thoughts so I guess I did not totally suppress all gay desires.

I have absolutely no one in my life that I feel comfortable discussing all this with. I feel like the safest option is to never have a romantic relationship for the rest of my life. That would suck but I could deal with it. To be honest I feel worthless and can't picture someone settling for me.

So right now celibacy seems like the way to go. There is more to life than love. You enter this world alone and you leave it alone.

Sorry for bothering you.

2. Gurds101

This post makes me sad. I think I am just a couple steps ahead of you in the whole coming out process. I went back and forth on my thinking for years, and finally am at the point where I am ok with it. I have told a few people close from me, and received ok responses.

My hope for you, is that you become ok with it. And you can start slowly putting yourself out there. Running from yourself for the rest of your life could just be scary, and lonely. Let yourself be who you are!!!

3. Jeff214

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may be a long-winded response :slight_smile:

I would urge you to consider looking around for a Gay/Straight Alliance or something similar.

There is a Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays in Minneapolis/St. Paul (http://www.pflagtc.org/) and that would be a place to start for talking to someone. Everyone there would be open and accepting and it's highly unlikely you'd run into anyone you know personally.

I also toyed with the idea of never entering into a relationship. I thought that no one in my life would ever understand how I feel and that no one would be okay with it. I was afraid of losing everyone. I decided NOT to continue down that path however. It was too painful...being alone in life is no way to go. It is possible, yes, but dull and lonely.

I told some friends and their reaction was FAR better than I had thought. Even my extremely devout Catholic friend (no offense to any Catholics here, I was going off a stereotype at the time) whom I thought would NEVER accept me said she still loved me as a person and wanted our friendship to continue. People reacted much better than I though. People can be surprising.

Like I said, I'd consider joining an LGBT group of some kind....I know it helped me immensely. Go to a university's LGBT office even. Someone there will be able to give you information.

Sorry that was so long. I hope it helped!

#3 Jeff214, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I can totally relate to what you're feeling. I used to think I'd never have a love life, that I'd just focus on other aspects that'd make my life worthwhile. But that didn't work. The constant anguish was eating me up and making me feel uncomfortable everywhere. Then I found this site with so many people who'd undergone the same and are now living out a proud, and I thought 'why should I condemn myself to such a miserable existence?'. I know this sounds hypocritical from someone who's not even out, but I've reached point where I've come to terms with the fact that I cannot change who I am, and I know that the coming out process will require a lot of strength from my part, but I'd rather struggle than surrender and give in to sadness.

You're not alone (*hug*). I think (and hope) there's way out, and many people in this site are a living proof.

5. Mickey

Although I never faced what you're going through,I know many others who have.
    I do know that coming out and living your life as you were meant to is very hard.
    I think that the other posters had some good ideas to help you.
    PFLAG is a good start. I was thinking that maybe talking to a professional could help a lot,too.
    Nobody should have to be alone,whether never having a relationship or to keep hiding who they truly are.
    It's great that you found this site. It has helped so many people.
    I truly wish you all the best. Please reconsider your decision on remaining alone all your life. Remember,you have as much right to have a happy life,as anyone else does.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The words you speak have truth. That doesn't make them THE truth, though.

There IS more to life than love. There's also more to life than eating. But that doesn't mean there's no reason to eat. And you do enter the world alone and leave alone. But you also enter and leave Disneyland by the front gate. It's all the shit you do between those two moments that matters. You can walk in, sit down by the gate and wait until the day to end. Or you can get in there, get on some rides, and have a really fucking good time while you're at Disneyland.

I don't know your backstory, or why you feel at 30 there's no way you can come out and live a fun, productive, healthy life as an out gay man. I know plenty of gay men (including a couple in Minnesota) who have done so. And I have yet to meet a guy who really regretted coming out. Some feel it wasn't done in the best way, and others felt very lost upon coming out, simply because they were in a new and unfamiliar place. But eventually, they grew more accustomed to their newfound place, and grew to love it. No, it didn't solve all their problems. But it did get them to a better place.

You say no one suspects you're gay. If you're 30, and you haven't dated women (much) over the past twelve years, I can guarantee the idea has crossed the mind of several people in your life. And even if they don't suspect, so what? They're your friends, right? They don't hang out with you and accept you because you're straight. They hang out with you and accept you because you're YOU. And if it ends up that MCP is gay instead of straight, so what? There might be a period of adjustment as they get used to the info, but eventually, you'll still be the same guy you were before.

Lex

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MCPacker, I feel bad becuase you remind me of myself so much.
    I pushed my feelings down since at 12, and I suffered all kinds of emotional and physical problems.

I would get constant stomach aches such. It isn't easy coming out. I know you think you live your life hiding forever, I thought I could, but I AM happier now that people know who I am. There has to be one person in your life you can come out to.

8. Jim1454

Thanks for your honesty. I haven't read all your posts, but this one seems to be getting at the heart of the matter, where as before you were perhaps skirting around the issue.

Many of us have been where you are right now.

"No one suspects that I am gay." Well, try having been married for 9 years with 2 kids. NOBODY suspected I was gay - not even me for the longest time. I know that sounds weird, but I was SO deep in denial that I couldn't even contemplate the fact that I might be gay.

"I have absolutely no one in my life that I feel comfortable discussing all this with." That's probably because even you don't feel comfortable discussing it yet. And that's normal. But hanging out here will make you feel better about your situation. It's not a bad thing, despite what society in general has convinced you of over the years. You'll find that once you're comfortable with being gay, what other people think won't matter nearly as much. Eventually we reach a point where it's more uncomfortable to stay in the closet than it is to tell people - so we tell people. Until then, don't worry about it.

"There is more to life than love. You enter this world alone and you leave it alone." I felt that way for the longest time too. But then I met my wife, and it was good to have someone in my life. But it never felt quite right. I wasn't convinced that I loved her as much as she seemed to love me, for some reason. And eventually I figured out why. I was meant to love another man. And when I met my boyfriend, THEN I knew what love was all about. And it's pretty incredible.

My favourite musical is Les Miserables. I think it's the very last line that goes "To love another person is to see the face of God." (It gives me goosebumps just typing that! I always tear up at the end!) For most of my life I didn't know what that meant. But the last couple of years, now that I'm free to love the person I'm meant to love, I have begun to understand it. It's really quite powerful and beautiful. I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience it.

So keep working on you. The rest of the stuff will follow. Don't be committing yourself to a life of celibacy quite yet.

9. TriBi

Well - putting your toe in the water at EC is a good start. Just talking with other people and getting an insight into their experiences is a good start.

I'd suggest you keep an open mind on what the future may hold - and don't condemn yourself to celibacy if you actually desire a relationship. Just try and get used to the idea that there are many people in all sorts of relationships other than 'purely straight'. Just because they may not conform to what you have been brought up to believe is the 'societial norm' doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with them. :wink: There are many people here - and in life around you - who are living proof that they can work and be fulfilling. :slight_smile:

10. mcpacker

mcpacker Guest

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really need to apply the lessons I have learned from another aspect of who I am. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I got out of the marines. I assumed no one would want to be around me yet everyone I have told were totally cool with it.

I know mental illness and who I'm attracted to are totally different. I'm guessing that telling people you are crazy(I know I'm not crazy I just like to have fun with it) is way harder than telling people you are gay.

I am probably delusional in thinking no one suspects I'm gay. I am always discussing gay oriented topics with some of my friends. I try to get some of my friends to go to gay themed bars with me because "It could be fun".

On the issue of coming out I know I have to be honest to one person very soon. I think it is not good to date a girl when I'm gay. I do think she is on to me though. When I do sexual things with her she frequently comments that I appear to just be doing her a favor.

I no longer doubt who I am. I can freely admit that it would be totally awesome to date a guy and this means I'm gay. I am now totally out to myself. It feels good and makes complete sense. I am confused about one thing though. What does the rainbow signify? I think it is a beautiful natural thing. Is that what it means?

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I think it has to do with celebrating diversity (of sexual orientation/identity in this case, but if you think about it, it could apply to many other things as well).

12. mcpacker

mcpacker Guest

I see everyday has a chance to gain wisdom and come closer to enlightenment. The majority of my adult life wisdom has evaded my grasp. I used to think the reason behind this had to do with intelligence. I simply was not bright enough to see it. I now know intelligence had nothing to do with it. I was ignoring myself and who I was or actually who I am.

The way forward is crystal clear now that I'm aware of my sexual orientation. This is who I am and I now embrace myself. My day to day life will be less exhausting now that I will not be suppressing my natural thoughts.

I'm too attractive to be straight.:lol:

13. mcpacker

mcpacker Guest

All my feelings of self worth stem from what I have done in my life. Patriotism and doing your duty help in the short term but when you become a civilian again things get hard. One thing that comforts me sometimes is that because of what I have done for my country I am still alive and some people I know are still alive. I was a gung ho hard charging Marine and just detached myself from the situation. After I was discharged I numbed myself down by using all sorts of drugs. That did something I never thought would happen. It induced psychosis.

I have been sober for almost two years now but the pain is still there. I think that because I have taken lives why do I deserve to have one. Many people have committed suicide because of that thought. I personally have never thought of killing myself and know I never will. I also feel bad about how I felt right after the first one. I got a huge rush initially. I got to do what every Marine dreams of.

What has happened to me since I see has positive. I am a pacifist and a vegan now. I treat every person I meet with great respect(even if they do not deserve it).

One thing I remember from boot camp is what one of my DI's said. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall feel no evil. For I know I am the baddest motherfucker in that valley.

I'm sorry for bringing this up. Many do not want to think of such things. I wish I did not have to. I have been enveloped by darkness and because of that I feel like my light shines even brighter.

#13 mcpacker, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009