1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight guys and ALWAYS talking about girls.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by shorty, Aug 25, 2009.

1. shorty

I work a touring roster (2 on/2 off (weeks)) so I spend a lot of time with my workmates. Its a very male dominated industry with a good dose of ego thrown in to boot. And I cannot believe how much they talk about women. No shit, its like 80% of conversations revolves around rooting women, wanting to root women, commenting on women, wondering about that woman, or any other variant on the above. Its driving me fucking mad.
    How do you find your workplace relationships with other straight guys, especially if they don't know you are gay I suppose, because I imagine they might not talk so much about it in front of me if they knew.

2. Fiender

This is how I would handle it:
    Straight guy: "Whoa dude, that chick is hot! Wouldn't you totally do her?"
    Me: "Ew, get rid of those balloon things and slap a penis on there and then I'd consider it."

Otherwise, change the subject.

3. Jim1454

That's a tough one. Other than changing the subject to cars or sports or food, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Thankfully, I work in an office that is very professional. There is no such discussion.

4. shorty

Changing the subject only works whilst there is something that is mutually agreeable to talk about. Seeing as I don't have an infactuation with cars or sports, this tends to also dull the conversation. As to your suggestion, I would liken it to commenting on how you think a guys dick looks hot in the locker room after a football game. :badgrin:

5. shorty

Funnily enough, I work in a "profession" (aviation), but its very much still a boys club with ego and testoterone brimming at the seams. (great job though)

6. Alex19

ignore them. unless they directly talk to u, just do your job and get paid.

as for me, everyone at my work already thinks/knows im gay so thats good. also the str8 guys never really talk about girls. or at least, not around me.

7. shorty

I do mostly. I do pretty well at my job, but its just so fucking annoying ignoring it all the time. I love people watching, and I often find myself admiring sexy ladies, but the constant banter about wanting to fuck every second girl that walks past just does my head in. And almost all the guys I work with are in their thirties at least, but they seem to have minds like 15 year old hormone raging school kids.

8. darkestknight

Same here in my college. When some my coursemates beautiful women walking past by, they have almost lost their sanity.

And they kept going on and on and on about ladies. Nothing's wrong with that, but sometimes, it gets dull and sultry.

If they kept talking about "I think you can get a beautiful chick" and stuff, I'll go ahead and jokingly "Yiuuuuuuuuuuhhh!! Put that thing away from me!" :roflmao:

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately a lot of people will always have the hormone-addled minds of 15-year old kids :wink:

I'm in luck being the only male in an office full of women. They rarely discuss women, and if they discuss the topic of men, they certainly don't do so in front of me.

However, I often have to work together with other men from other departments, and when in a "men only" environment, the topic tends to come up with regularity. Usually I just don't know what to say, and if I try to say something, I tend to feel so uncomfortable I regret saying it anyway. So I just sit quietly and nod and smile at appropriate moments.
    Other topics include cars (which I know next to nothing about) and sports (which I know enough about to know who's leading in the soccer competition).

Movies and music and holiday plans seem to be the safest topics to switch to. But a lot of the time I just resign myself to a reputation of being "the silent one". I'm guessing coming out would make them switch topics, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do that anytime soon...

10. frostreaver

Mmhmm, so true. When I was in school, my guy friends are like "hot girl at 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock blah blah..." during breaks. I just comment with short sentences cause I still can tell whether a girl is good looking or not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And they kind of know that I don't really show much interest in girls so they don't ask much from me. :grin:

11. xequar

Depending upon the crew, I'd ask if there's anything else, or if it's all just girls girls girls all the time. Otherwise, yeah, you're just kinda stuck being annoyed, I guess.

12. darkestknight

I couldn't tell which girl is the most good looking, if all of them are good looking. The thing is, the women I've seen all look similar to each other! :roflmao:

13. shorty

I suppose I should apologise to the 15 year old raging hormone kids here. I still have raging hormones, and it would be funny to imagine me being surrounded by the same guys, but they were gay. But it would still annoy the shit out of me.
    I certainly check the guys out, but even if I was surrounded by gay guys, I dont think I would talk about wanting to hook up with them as much as what I see with my workmates. Its annoying to the extreme. But also, apart from that, they are generally good guys. Confusing all the same.

14. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like talking about girls, beautiful ones only though.

Megan Fox is hot.
    ---
    but I am not attracted much to her
    ---

but I can talk about women much more than I can talk about sports (except football). I think I talk about women more than the straight guys I hang around with, it's strange I talk about women too much and lots of compare and contrasts. Even say things like big boobs, but I never say I want to do it, but I mention marriage to women enough (not often but I do mention it)

#14 Jack2009, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  15. starbucksshoote

Yeah, I have a friend like that who went on at length about wanting to bang women. We don't hang out as much as we used to, which is sad, but I told him that going to a bar and cruising for women all night wasn't really all that fun for me. Some people are like that though - their minds tend to that direction and that's largely all they think about. I have a gay friend who is like that - when we're at a bar or in a restaurant, he spends most of him time watching people walk down the street and making comments about the guys he thinks are cute. I found it almost as annoying as with the other friend, although I was able to relate slightly more.

Being gay, and when in front of people who know I'm gay, I find that I can make comments that would get others in trouble. A good-looking woman will walk by, they'll talk about her in non-specific terms, and I'll occassionally throw in "yeah - and a big rack too!" - tends to crack people up (not wanting to offend of course).

Good luck - try switching to current events if sports or cars aren't your thing. Everyone has usually read something in the news that you can find something in common to talk about.

16. PJ James

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Useuall routeine

ooooo the customer down Isle 4 is really hot...

If you say so James

Matt your no fun, where's Sally gone?

Your going to go and debate the hotness of teenage customers with my girlfriend

Yep!

Should I be worried?

only if you evesdrop :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Unless they spot a "hot" girl, yeah! I find it awkard.... I have to avoid seeing them checking the girl out or avoid walking pass the girl. Other than that, all they talk about is football so I'm good :slight_smile:.

18. BasketCase

If its just me and someone else I change the subject to football as its more important to me than women (In the context of being enthusiastic about something).

Nobody has mentioned the fact that I dont talk about women recently - surely they will notice soon?

19. SwissBoy88

In my job everyone assumes that you're gay anyway (at least as a man) .... so it's really fun.

" Hey look at 45B, such a hottie!!!"

20. shorty

Hah, I was flirting a bit with the steward on the way home yesterday. (!)