1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nothing good

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by diegon3, Aug 26, 2009.

1. diegon3

Ok so apparently i'm in college already hundreds of miles away from home yet i have not made any real friends and to make matters worse my mom has made me feel guilty. I now regret ever leaving home and ever leaving that letter for my dad saying that i am gay cause my mom called me saying why did i do that and it was a big mistake that my dad wasn't talking.
    now i cant concentrate on my homework i feel like i should disappear or much worse i have a huge knot in my throat of how badly i wanna scream and cry.

2. Just Adam

hey man first off congrats with college thats a great start and will help you get further in life :slight_smile:

second thing friends, they will come in class just sit by a guy or girl and just say hi im.... etc and after class jsut ask what peopel are upto or if they would like to go grab a drink or sumamt to eat... you know jsut hang makeing friends can be easy great friends can be harder but worth it in the end...good luck XD

as for your mum she will be upset but you just got to tell her your sorry but you had to do it this way and { insert reason} mine would be that is was easyer and as you were leaving you wouldent be there as you were expecting negative reaction.... your her son and she loves you they both do or there wouldent be all this emotional issue :wink:

as for your dad it can be difficult and he will just take time, your mum says he aint talking ok i admit that isnt a good sign but you have rest assured she is doing all she can to comfort him and they are a adjusting the best they can and that they are fine, you nned to have faith i know its difficult im starting to believe my family may accept me it just takes time.

as for your studys you need to focus on this for now and do well that is what your parents want no matter what...they love you and want you to have a good long happy life and to be successful.

so you feel guilty and alone and parents arent dealing well to the news and your work isnt going great.... is that it? thats nothign you cant control...nothing there is no reason tehre to think of dissapearing or self harm physicl or emotional to yourself....

talk to people introduce yourself put some charm on... do your work to the best of your abbility thats all you can ever do in life.... and when you get a free chance call home and talk to them be honest ask your mum to put your dad on the phone and he may not want to as its awkward and doesent know what he can say but you jsut tell your mum you wont get off the phone till he does then when she finally hand it to him you jsut say you love him and say why you left that note and didnt talk to him about how you feel... as i know thats what i would want to hear...

but even if all these thigns go well it will still take time and when you get a college break go home and see them it will be awkward but it can help honest loving emotion allways helps if only to knwo where you stand...

i dont know if i said anythign that hlps or jsut confused you if so im sorry :S

take care

3. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Search this up

Dune - million miles away from home

4. Eleanor Rigby

Ok first thing, if you have a big knot in your throat because you want to scream and cry, the best thing to do is to sit down on your bed and cry in your pillow a good time. It'll do you lot of good and you'll feel better after (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)
    Then, don't worry about college. You'll make friends. Everyone is scared when arriving at college. It's exciting, but it's also scarry because there is so many new things, and so many people you don't know, and it's often far from home. It's completly normal to feel homesick. But keep in mind that most freshers feel exactly how you feel. Don't be scared of the others and in no time you'll have plenty of new friends.
    You can also try to joing an association, depending on your interests. It's a good way to meet people who are interested in things you like. And if there is an LGBT group, why not joining it ?
    That's normal too that your mother tries to make you feel guilty. It's her way to show you she is missing you. Give her some time to get used to her everyday life without you.
    Last thing, you've been very brave coming out to your father. Now let him get used to it. The fact he doesn't talk about it isn't necessarily a bad sign. Some people talk a lot, and some others prefer remaining silent until they've swallowed the news. Maybe you could call your father or send him an e-mail to say that when he'll feel ready to talk about it, he'll can ask you every questions he might have.
    Maybe he'll do it, maybe not, but that'll keep the comunication open. And anyway, you'll probably be able to talk to him next time you'll be home.

Now don't worry to much and enjoy your new life. And if you ever feel the need to talk about this or anything else, you'll be very welcome to contact me anytime you want.

Take care, Eleanor

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Eleanor pointed out, in college, all the freshmen are in the same boat. Away from home, not knowing anybody. Use this to your advantage. Go say hi to some other freshmen, presumably those nearby in your dorm. They'll most likely be grateful that someone is reaching out to them.

As for your father, don't worry about it too much. Maybe it was the wrong move, but it's done now. Give your dad some time to digest the info, and you'll be talking again soon.

Lex

6. Jim1454

Change is stressful - so you're stressed. That's totally normal. You're dealing with a lot of stuff, so it's OK to feel the way you're feeling. You'll get through it, and be a stronger person for it. Deep breaths.

Don't sweat the friends. How long have you been there? A week? No biggie. The people I became REAL friends with are the people I met in 3rd and 4th year. I have no idea where the people are that I met in first year.

Don't sweat your dad either. He'll get over it. What choice does he have? He can mope around all he wants, but the fact remains that his son is gay. That isn't going to change.

Your mom laying a guilt trip on you? Well, moms do that. Parents often make the mistake of being parents way too long. (Says the parent who is legitimately still a parent because his kids are only 6 and 8!) She no longer has a physical presence in your life now that you're off to college, so she's putting more emphasis on her emotional influence. Recognize it for what it is and let most of it roll off your back. You're an adult now, and she'll eventually come to terms with that.

It's a lot to take in in a very short period of time. But it will get better. Hang in there!!!